8. Velaris

Bellona had never seen a city so stunning. A wide, sapphire blue river snakes throughout the rows of white marble buildings. A feeling of tranquility wafting through the air. It reminded Bellona of the feeling she used to have when visiting the limestone cave near Skyson, the village closest to Rosehall. The feeling of peace. All the emotions she could remember had left her as she soared through the sky. The sound of moving wings in the wind, playing a soothing melody.

Her flight ended soon after. Snapping out of the flying-induced trance she stepped out of Azriel's arms, trying to smooth her windswept hair as they arrived at their destination. A large crimson-coloured building, carved into the red flat-topped mountains itself. "Welcome to the House of Wind, the High Lady is in the hall waiting for you," Cassian announced, gesturing with his hand to follow him. Raising her eyebrows at his serious tone, she complied. She walked through the two glass doors that opened into a large, but surprisingly casual, dining room. It was carved from the stone and was accentuated with rich wood.

At the head of the table sat the High Lady of the Night Court, Feyre. Her blue grey eyes assessing Bellona as she entered the room. "It's quite beautiful isn't it?" Bellona smiled in agreement as she sat down, "so this is the famed Velaris, the City of Starlight. Bakarus always described it as something out of a dream, but not even him and his poetic mind could ever do it justice". Bellona knew that she would be stuck here until deemed 'stable' enough to go home. Might as well start with some flattery to make things a bit easier.

Feyre's smile dimmed as she placed her hands on the table and leaned forward as if to comfort her, "we viewed Bakarus as part of our family. Even though we had our... let's say reservations at the start, his friendship with Nyx was treasured greatly by all of us." Guilt for not remembering Nyx's own grief begrudgingly made a way into her heart. "To lose such a bright soul, especially so young. I can't even imagine the pain that you and your family are going through". Looking into Bellona's emerald ringed eyes, she said with strength. "Know that we won't ever forget him", she finished squeezing Bellona's tense hand.

Before she could respond, Feyre peered over her shoulder, gaze landing on two shadow wraiths that suddenly appeared in the doorway. Their bodies nothing but shadow and mist. They were more solid looking than normal shadow wraiths so they mustn't be full blooded. Her thoughts were interrupted by Feyre's voice, "Nuala and Cerriwden meet Bellona, Daughter of the Spring Court." After a look at their High Lady, they curtesyed deep, their gold bracelets jingling slightly. "Cerriwden is going to be your handmaiden whilst your here, she will show you to your room". Bellona nodded as she stood up to follow her guide.

"We are also having a family dinner tonight if you care to join us?" Bellona looked back at the High Lady, keeping her face neutral as she thought of every possible way to say no. But the High Lady's voice held no room for argument, "sounds lovely", she replied, trying to hide the sarcasm in her voice. With that she left the room, following one of the shadow creatures as she made her way through the halls.

Vote and Comment!

Vote and Comment!