13. Thawing Of A Frozen Heart

The sun creeps in through the spaces in the shutters. The shadows of the lattice work on the wall dance and whisper, as the light finds its way through the cracks. The warmth of the light on her skin was a welcome change from the coolness of the night, as Bellona woke from a suspiciously peaceful sleep. Her state of calm shattering as she looked around the unfamiliar room. Shoving the covers off her body she stood quickly, willing her brain to recall the previous evening, but her mind was a fog. That was until she ran her gaze over her wrists. Her veins, now a deep purple colour, were stark against the paler skin. As, if in a trance, her memories came flooding back.

Flashes of confrontation and flames swept through her mind. Her, walking through a potentially dangerous city full of strangers, without any clothes or care in the world. Moonlight and soothing water came next, as did the stunning male on the edge of the bank. Also, the fact that she followed him - a stranger - into his house, completely delirious and tipsy. Fuckity fuck fucker. I'm positively fucked. She banged her hands against her head in frustration as she paced around the room.

Every single lesson she had been taught about being alert, every ounce of sweat she released during training would've meant nothing, if the faes she could sense downstairs, held any ill-intent or animosity towards her. She had let her guard down all because of Nyx's petty shit. But even now, Bellona knew that she had done at least one right thing last night. She didn't care that it caused her pain to remember the terrible things he spat at her. Instead, it gave her strength in the fact that she gave it right back. She stood up for her family, her Court, and that soothed any cuts he caused her heart.

Her musing was interrupted by a few knocks at the door. It was the man from last night. He stood at the door, casually leaning against the frame. A sleepy expression on his face as he watched Bellona pace around the well-furnished room. "Sleep well?"

"Like a babe", she answered, her thumb running over the leaves on her collarbone, "suspiciously so". She came to stand beside him."I guessed so", he smirked, "you were clutching that pillow like it was your favourite stuffed toy". Smacking his shoulder, she scowled in return "did not". "Ow!" Rubbing his arm, he stepped back from Bellona. "Come on now let's get you some food, hopefully that makes you happier". He laughed as she moved to hit him again, following the male as he made his way through the house.

Grinning, he opened the door to the kitchen. The homely atmosphere was inviting, the large marble island bench in the middle of the room, catching her attention straight away. It was clear that a lot of time and effort had gone into ensuring that the space was comfortable but also functional. Bellona could see Nana Syon standing at the stove, flipping the contents of a frying pan, humming a tune as she worked. The smell of bacon and eggs wafted through the air, bringing a smile to Bellona's face. Her mouth already starting to salivate. Bellona pulled out one of the chairs that surrounded the island. Not a moment later, Nana had placed a steaming plate in front of both of them and gestured for her to eat.

The older woman sat down across from her, she wearing a white button-down shirt and black pants. She had her hair pulled back in a tight bun, waiting for Bellona to sober up a bit more. When both of the youngins had finished their breakfast, the male's Nana cleared her throat, shrewd eyes fixated on the girl before her. "So, what's your deal?"

Bellona pushed her now empty plate away from her and clasped her hands together. Knowing that she had to go about this carefully. Even though they were very hospitable, these people were still strangers. They were still potential enemies. "My name is Bellona, as you can probably tell I'm originally from the Spring Court where I lived with my parents and my elder brother. I have been uhh...", she paused for a moment, " invited to stay here for the next couple of months".

Forks clinked against plates next to her. "Didn't you say you were kicked out for a bit?"

"Yeah, well that was a misunderstanding", she thought back to the deal between Rhysand and her father, "they kind of have to take me back so it'll be right". She nearly sagged in relief as Nana didn't question her anymore. Instead, she turned to the male beside her, "well, since you know who I am, who are you?"

"Nithar. My name is Nithar. It's a pretty unique name, but it's mine. I've had it for as long as I can remember, and there's been a lot of moments in my life where I've used it, you know. Back when I was in school, I used to answer to "Abrin" when my teacher called on me. It sorta, seemed like a good thing to do". Bellona couldn't stop herself as she burst out laughing at the completely serious expression on his face, her laughter so contagious he couldn't stop himself, soon joining in. The two faes laughed so hard that their eyes watered and their bellies ached. Bellona hadn't laughed like this in a long time; it felt as though something inside her had finally come back to life.

Knock. Knock. Knock. They quickly sobered up as three short knocks sounded at the entrance door. Dread coiling in Bellona's gut as the familiar scent of sea salt and lemon invaded her nostrils.

I've changed my updating schedule to at least once a week

I've changed my updating schedule to at least once a week. Constructive criticism is welcome!

Vote and comment x