5. Memories

It was a while before her father arrived back at their room. Stress evident in his posture, but also something akin to hope shining in his eyes. Bellona didn't think anything of it as she lay down in the East bedroom, the smaller of the two adjoining spaces. Too busy with existing thoughts running through her head, keeping the stillness of sleep away.

Shots of her childhood rolling together, creating a montage of her life so far. Flashes of her brothers golden hair twisting around corners, being chased by their brunette haired sister with a handful of mud. Grins on their faces as they all crept up on the unsuspecting guards and pelted them instead.

Slowly the images turned darker, Belarus stationed next to their father at all important meetings, learning what it takes to become High Lord. Their mother hovering over him like a wasp, not letting anything stain her golden child's reputation. Leaving the twins to their own devices. Supervised by old war generals and stern governesses. No formal training for the strong elemental magic that they both possessed. Bakarus's was all things soothing and calm; the power of water and earth manipulation. Perfect for the creation of all plants and the giving of life. His sister being handed by the Mother, fire, air and weather powers. A combination deadly with no way to control it. Many a forest had been destroyed before she could learn how to maintain it.

It was the reason her mother despised her. Having a powerful but hot headed daughter was too hard to control. Nothing could diminish her love for her Court and her passion for life. Dreaded was the day that she was to find a husband. It was a running joke that Bellona wouldn't last a week before she was sent back home like an unwanted child.
But the thing Asterin hated most of all was the fact that she didn't care about her status. It was normal for her daughter to be found in one of the villages, playing catch ball with the children deemed of a low social status. Spending her allowances on new clothes and supplies for those not of her concern.

The only affection from her parents Bellona got was given by her father. Tamlin was always heated, fiercely protective of all members of his family. Even more so after the death of his youngest son. It was a great time before he let Bellona out of his sight, only when he was tormented by the ghosts of his past, did he realise the mistake that he was making. Bellona could only numbly watch as the Court finished their mourning, and left behind the memory of the Son of Spring. Forgotten in the mountains, only remembered by a detached elder brother and a broken sister, her fire turned to ash.

Their relationship shattered beyond repair.

Vote and comment your thoughts!