Chapter 15 - D3A Carrier Dive Bombers

The first attack group consisted of 117 planes, including 9 A6M Zero fighters each from the Akagi, Sōryū, and Hiryū, 18 D3A carrier dive bombers from the same carriers, and 9 A6Ms and 27 D3As from the Kaga. Their objective was to destroy the flight decks of American aircraft carriers and deprive them of their aircraft operational capability.

Even before the first attack group spotted the American task force, they were met with an unwelcome reception from enemy fighters. The crews of the first attack group saw three formations of ten planes heading their way. Since there were three American carriers in the vicinity, the approaching aircraft were likely interceptors launched from them.

In response to these three formations, the Kaga squadron led by Lieutenant Shiga, the Sōryū squadron led by Lieutenant Suganami, and the Hiryū squadron led by Lieutenant Okajima, formed a defensive line to prevent the enemy from getting too close to the dive bombers. The Akagi squadron led by Lieutenant Commander Itaya remained close to the D3As in a strict defensive position.

The battle between the carrier-based fighter squadrons, which was the first of its kind between Japan and the United States, surprisingly ended with a one-sided victory for the Japanese. The American fighters' defeat was due to their engagement in dogfights against the Zeros. Unlike European fighter pilots who had a better understanding of the hit-and-run tactics of the new era, Japanese and American fighter pilots had confidence in engaging in traditional dogfights.

As a result, the Zeros, which outperformed the F4F and F2A fighters in both climbing and turning capabilities, easily got on their tails and rained 20 mm and 7,7 mm bullets into them. The American pilots, who had hoped to overwhelm the Asians with their fighter planes, found themselves in a panic, facing a significant disparity in combat power. The slight numerical advantage they had quickly disappeared, and the scattered F4F and F2A fighters were pursued by well-organized squadrons of Zeros. However, some American aircraft managed to break through the Zero fighter defenses and approached the D3As. Still, they were all repelled by the Akagi Zero fighter squadron.

Meanwhile, the D3A squadrons continued their advance and finally located the American task force. While expressing gratitude for the efforts and dedication of the Zeros, the commander of the first attack group and the Sōryū's dive bomber squadron leader Lieutenant Commander Egusa issued a clear order.

"The Sōryū air group and the Akagi first squadron to the left flank, the Hiryū air group and the Akagi second squadron to the right flank, and the Kaga air group to the carrier group in the center. The Akagi air group and the Kaga third squadron will target the escort ships that make up the ring formation. The rest will target the carriers!"

Following Egusa's command, the Akagi first squadron under Lieutenant Chihaya, the Akagi second squadron under Lieutenant Abe, and the Kaga third squadron under Lieutenant Ibuki conducted rapid dive bombing runs on their designated carrier targets. In response, bursting shells were launched from American cruisers and destroyers, which proved to be much more intense than the bomber crews, including Egusa, had anticipated.

One D3A quickly exploded, and two more left trails of smoke as they plunged into the Marshall Islands' waters. However, the remaining 24 planes successfully dropped their bombs, hitting the cruisers and destroyers with a total of 11 Type 25 bombs. As a result, all three cruisers and six destroyers suffered severe damage, with one of the hit destroyers emitting thick smoke and coming to a halt on the high seas. By that time, the remaining 54 D3As had also transitioned to their attack positions on their designated carriers.

"I can't take it anymore."

Slicing through the dense barrage of bursting shells coming toward him and the thick smoke that obscured his vision, Egusa initiated the dive. In the rear seat, Flight Petty Officer Ishii, the radioman, continued to read out the altitude, while Egusa focused on placing the enemy aircraft carrier's flight deck at the center of his sights. Even as the aircraft was buffeted by the blast, he maintained this position. Simultaneously with Ishii's call of "Sixty," Egusa released the Type 25 bomb he had cradled in his belly. At the same time, he pulled the control stick toward himself, transitioning to level flight just inches above the water, preparing to escape. Even as they fled from the effective range of enemy anti-aircraft fire, Ishii, in the rear seat, reported the results in a loud voice.

"Six hits confirmed. But we can't identify whose aircraft they hit, but three planes were lost to the enemy."

When an aircraft carrier takes six Type 25 bombs to its flight deck, it becomes impossible for its aircraft to take off or land. The targeted aircraft carrier had completely lost its combat capability. The dive bombers of the Sōryū had fulfilled their mission admirably. However, they had lost nearly twenty percent of their aircraft in the process. The six lost crew members were all seasoned experts.

'While the attack itself could be considered a success, the casualties incurred in just one battle were too much. If we continue to suffer such losses in every engagement, our carrier air squadrons will quickly be ground down to nothing.'

Egusa couldn't find it in himself to feel genuinely happy about the results, knowing that he had lost a significant number of his subordinates.