Chapter 68 - Target, Enemy Battleships

Each of the Essex-class and Independence-class aircraft carriers, of which there were eight each, were all sunk through aerial attacks and torpedo strikes. Furthermore, many of the cruisers and destroyers that were escorting them were also sunk or defeated.

The First Fleet and the Second Fleet, which had disposed of the US task force, as well as the Third Fleet, set their bows toward Saipan. The First Fleet, which was divided into two groups, regrouped and reorganized their formation, transitioning to a combat formation centered around eight battleships.

On the other hand, the US forces were left with only the Seventh Fleet, centered around seven obsolete battleships, to protect the Saipan landing force, as Task Force 58 had suffered an unexpected defeat. The seven battleships included the Colorado with 16-inch guns, the Pennsylvania, which had managed to escape the tragedy of the Naval Battle of the Marshall Islands while still in drydock, and three New Mexico-class battleships that had been relocated from the Atlantic to the Pacific after the war started, as well as two New York-class battleships. They were accompanied by three heavy cruisers, three light cruisers, and sixteen destroyers.

"Yamato, target the first ship; Musashi, second; Nagato, third; Mutsu, fourth. 2nd Battleship Division, target the fifth, sixth, and seventh ships. 4th and 7th Cruiser Divisions, target enemy cruisers. Torpedo squadron, target enemy destroyers."

In order to annihilate the Seventh Fleet that stood before them, Vice Admiral Kurita instructed the targets in a resolute voice. Despite the intense battle and fatigue, he showed no sign of it. The officers and men who followed his orders were well-versed in combat, for better or worse, and their actions were efficient.

The First Fleet, having quickly formed its combat formation, began firing on the American battleships of the Seventh Fleet before them, benefiting from their air superiority, which allowed them to use observation planes freely. They couldn't afford to miss this advantage. On the other hand, the Seventh Fleet, fighting desperately on behalf of the Saipan ground forces, opened their gunports even though they couldn't use observation planes. They fired back at long ranges where hits were not usually expected.

"The first and second battleships are targeting us. The third and fourth are going after the Musashi. The fifth and sixth are targeting the Nagato. The seventh is targeting the Mutsu."

The lookouts relayed the targets of the firing American battleships. Shortly after, the Gunnery Chief reported with a mix of joy, "Straddle! Transition to simultaneous fire starting from the next."

Kurita, unexpectedly early in initiating simultaneous fire, maintained his composure. Forty seconds after the report, the Yamato roared. Nine 46 cm shells were expelled from her gun barrels, flying towards the first American battleship. Meanwhile, shells fired from the enemy battleship toward the Yamato fell far from being a threat, and the splashes were nowhere near. The enemy battleship desperately attempted to make corrections, but the disadvantage of not having observation planes was evident. Several seconds after the simultaneous fire, the first enemy battleship was enveloped in splashes, and a cloud of smoke rose slightly behind. If it had been a little closer to the center or slightly further back, it might have struck the ammunition magazine of the third turret for a catastrophic hit.

During this time, the Musashi, Nagato, Mutsu, and the four battleships of the 2nd Battleship Division also received hits. The 46 cm, 41 cm, and 36 cm shells were steadily wearing down the enemy. Despite the damage, the seven American battleships were desperately defending the Saipan landing force. However, in terms of both quantity and quality, and especially in terms of combat experience, they were no match for the First Fleet.

The Yamato and Musashi relentlessly fired 46 cm shells at the obsolete American battleships, as did the other six battleships with 41 cm and 36 cm shells.

By this point, the cruisers and destroyers of the First Fleet, which outnumbered and outgunned the Seventh Fleet, were also overpowering the enemy cruisers and destroyers. It was only a matter of time until the combined might of German technology and Imperial Navy tactics in the First Fleet would obliterate the Seventh Fleet.