Chapter 51 - Force A's Struggle

Task Force 61, consisting of the Enterprise, Ranger, and Wasp, launched 72 F4F Wildcat fighter planes, 60 SBD Dauntless dive bombers, and 35 TBF Avenger torpedo bombers. Before they could reach the Third Fleet, they encountered numerous Zero fighters. At that time, within the Third Fleet, Force A consisted of Shōkaku, Zuikaku, and Hiryū, with two squadrons of Zeros assigned to them. Force B included Jun'yō, Hiyō, and Zuihō, with one squadron, for a total of 81 Zero fighters responsible for fleet air defense. In contrast to the beginning of the war, Zero fighters now had radar-equipped carriers to guide them for intercepting from a distance.

On the other hand, the American carrier-based air squadrons had conducted extensive formation and training based on their combat experience. They could now coordinate attacks involving multiple carriers.

In an attempt to stop them from approaching the Third Fleet, 81 Zero fighters confronted the U.S. attack force. In response, 72 F4Fs turned their noses towards the Zeros to protect the SBDs and TBFs.

The Zero fighter pilots of the fighter escort squadrons mainly came from the newly formed Ryūhō or were temporarily transferred from the Chitose and Chiyoda, which were still under training. Most other pilots were inexperienced and lacked navigation skills. Conversely, many veterans and mid-level pilots capable of solo navigation had joined the first or second attack groups.

On the other hand, the F4Fs were often flown by skilled veterans capable of solo navigation, resulting in an overall high level of proficiency. Despite their skill, they were fully occupied trying to engage a similar number of Zero fighters.

Ten Zero fighters managed to break through the defensive line of F4Fs, and without bothering with the SBDs, they closed in on the TBFs. Taking down nearly 100 dive bombers and torpedo bombers with just ten Zeros was an impossible task. Therefore, the Zero fighter pilots focused their attacks on the more threatening torpedo bombers instead of the dive bombers.

The Zeros, divided into groups of five, engaged the Ranger and Wasp torpedo squadrons, each consisting of ten TBFs, using 20 mm and 7,7 mm rounds at them. Meanwhile, due to the valiant effort of the F4Fs and the sacrifices of the Ranger and Wasp strike groups, the other dive and torpedo bombers reached the Third Fleet's Force A without losing a single aircraft.

The first attack was launched by the Enterprise attack group, consisting of 24 SBDs. They targeted the nearest Hiryū. Facing the successive dives of the SBDs, Captain Kaku of the Hiryū maneuvered frantically to avoid hits. However, it was impossible for even the highly skilled Captain Kaku to avoid all the bombs dropped by the Enterprise's 24 SBDs. The Hiryū, surrounded by spouting columns of water one after another, saw plumes of smoke rise continuously from her flight deck after four direct hits.

At the same time, the Shōkaku was targeted by the Ranger attack group, consisting of 18 SBDs. Captain Arima, the commander of the Shōkaku, also made every effort to evade the bombs but couldn't avoid all of them. The front, middle, and rear sections of the flight deck were hit one by one. Additionally, the Zuikaku was hit by the Wasp air group's attack. Two 1.000-pound bombs scored direct hits, rendering her flight deck unusable.

Soon after, 15 TBFs from the Enterprise attack group approached at a low altitude. The sharp-eyed Enterprise torpedo squadron targeted the Hiryū, which had suffered the most damage among the three carriers.

The TBFs of the Enterprise squadron, divided into groups of five and ten, repeatedly launched torpedoes at the anticipated future position of the sluggish Hiryū. The carrier, robbed of its primary advantage of speed, had no way to evade them. Nonetheless, the crew continued to fight back with desperation, brandishing the 12,7 cm high-angle guns and 25 mm autocannons lined up on both sides. However, only one TBF, which had completed its torpedo run, was shot down. Soon, a column of water rose to the left and right of the Hiryū. To everyone's eyes, it was clear that there was no way to save her.