As he starts sitting up, the officers gathered around him grip his arms, not letting him climb down from the bed and come near me.

“You think they will be able to keep me in that prison for long?” He huffs. “I will get out soon with the help of my lawyers. Mark my words, Nandini. I will make you pay for the stunt you pulled earlier. I won’t spare you. I will break you one day and make you my slave as I made that other slut.”

His arrogance further fuels my anger, and I start walking toward him.

“You think you are high and mighty because you beat up girls, force yourself on them, and make them surrender to you, right?” I tell Rishabh. “Let me give you the taste of your medicine then. Let me make you realize how it feels.”

Rishabh shakes his head. “The police is here, Sweetheart. You can’t do anything to me while I am in their custody.”

I frown, pretending to look around. “Police? What are you talking about, Rishabh? Only you, Manik, Aastha, and I are in this room.

“Right, Manik? Do you see any officers here?” When I turn to Manik when asking that question, I see confusion marring his face for a few seconds, before he finally understands.

“Ah, right. I had called the officers before coming here, but they have not reached here yet,” Manik says.

“We apologize, Mr. Sisodiya,” one of the officers holding Rishabh’s arm starts speaking. “Traffic has gotten so bad these days that we usually get delayed while getting to the crime scene.”

“What the fuck are you idiots talking about? Have you all gone mad?” Rishabh’s starts shouting, glaring at all of us.

“Now, now, Rishabh,” Manik says. “Do not get so angry. You are already going to be injured in the fight that we are going to have while trying to get Aastha from you. If police came between that fight and saw you being a danger to us, they might even shoot you to protect us.”

I notice the expression of fear flitting across Rishabh’s face when he hears Manik.

He opens his mouth to say something, but I begin speaking before he can.

“I will now request the officers to leave your arms for a while. But don’t you dare move from that bed, Rishabh. You don’t want to die in an encounter, do you?”

Saying that to Rishabh, I request the inspectors to lave him, which they do.

I wonder why they are going along with this, but then, Aastha’s earlier condition flashes in my mind.

Everyone must have seen the way he was treating her. That is why they must be helping me give him what he deserves.

Rishabh stays on the bed when the officers leave his hand, probably because he has understood the consequences of him not doing so.

Satisfied by him staying put, I turn and walk to the cupboard.

Opening the cupboard, I see his clothes are still there.

When he had told me about bringing his things here in this room, I had told Mrs. Iyer about everything he had been doing to me.

But her, instead of believing me, had berated me, and had allowed it when Rishabh’s driver had brought his things the very next day. Not only allowed, but she also made me arrange all these clothes in the cupboard.

“You said very nasty things about poor Risabh yesterday. So, this is your punishment, Nandini. Organize this cupboard and clean this room properly. Rishabh had called me earlier to tell me that will be coming to stay with us soon,” she had said, breaking my heart.