Chapter 23: Farewell

The morning sun cascaded over Scaranton mansion, painting it with a golden hue. Outside, the lush gardens bloomed with life, birds chirping melodiously. I stood at the entrance, my bags packed, ready for another journey.

Eleanor, dressed in her scholarly robes, approached first. Her black hair tied neatly, her green eyes sparkling with gratitude. "Arria, words can't express how thankful I am. Please, whenever you're near Oxford, my doors are always open. And the library, of course." She grinned.

I chuckled, "I might just take you up on that offer. Take care, Eleanor."

Gilbert stepped forward, adjusting his spectacles. His usual stern demeanor had softened. "I must admit, my skepticism got the better of me initially. But what you've shown us, what you've done... Thank you, Arria."

I placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, "People fear what they don't understand, Gilbert. Just promise me you'll be more open-minded in the future."

He nodded, "I promise."

Lionel, rugged and with a solemn expression, approached next. "I don't have many words, Arria. But from the bottom of my heart, thank you." He extended his hand, which I took in a firm handshake.

From behind, little Jasper ran up, holding his jar with his favorite bug. "For you, Arria. So you remember me." His innocent eyes shimmered with unshed tears.

I knelt down, brushing a strand of hair off his face. "Thank you, Jasper. I'll cherish it. And take care of the other 'Arria', okay?"

He nodded enthusiastically, wiping his eyes.

Tommy, ever the creative soul, handed me a framed picture. "We took this last night. My camera captures more than just images, but emotions too. The happiness, the relief, the bonds we formed. I hope this keeps us close to your heart."

Touching the frame gently, I whispered, "Always."

Lila shyly stepped forward, her handwritten letter clutched in her tiny hands. "For you," she said, her voice a mere whisper.

I hugged her tightly, "Thank you, Lila. You're brave. Remember that."

Finally, Beatrice, her red hair cascading like a fiery waterfall, looked at me with profound gratitude. "Arria, with your help, I've found a part of me I never knew existed. And though Nemona is gone, I can feel her. Her spirit."

Taking her hands in mine, I replied, "She's with you, Beatrice. Always and forever."

With a heavy heart, I waved them all goodbye, the mansion shrinking in the distance. But with each step I took, the Winstons' gratitude and love fueled my spirit, propelling me forward to my next adventure.