Chapter 17: Cobwebs and Clues

As the rest of us prepared to ascend to the attic, Eleanor, always the caring maternal figure, quietly slipped away to Lila's room. The pale and weak Lila needed Eleanor's comforting presence, especially now that Nemona's grasp seemed to be off her. With a few whispered words of encouragement to us, Eleanor made her way to the sick room.

We made our way to the attic. The stairs creaked with each step, and cobwebs clung to the walls. Each shadow seemed to dance with the movement of our lanterns, making the atmosphere even more eerie.

Finally, at the top, we found ourselves in a dimly lit room filled with dusty old trunks, faded tapestries, and forgotten family heirlooms. Jasper led us to a corner where an old wooden chest rested. He carefully lifted its heavy lid, revealing a collection of journals and diaries.

"There," Jasper pointed to an ancient-looking diary with a worn leather cover. The Winston family crest was embossed on it. Gilbert retrieved it with reverence and carefully opened it.

As we flipped through the pages, a particular entry caught our eye. The date? Over a century ago.

*"By the stone circle in the grove, we stand. By lyght of daye and moone's soft gleam, a promise made to protect the land. But today, betrayal cuts deep. A 'neadhrach' deed by one of our own. Nemona and the guardian, pure of cridhe, try to fend off the 'fuar' ill, but it grows strong."*

A chill ran down my spine. The same words from the spell echoed in this diary, the connection undeniable. Gilbert read aloud the passage that followed:

*"Nemona, trusted and loved, was betrayed, but by a Winston. Lured by promises of power and immortality, he turned to dark magic. The stone circle, once a source of protection, became a prison. Nemona was trapped, her essence bound. But she wasn't alone. The guardian stood by her side, using the last of her strength to contain the 'fuar' ill. They stand still, waiting for the 'neadhrach' to be undone and balance to be restored."*

I gasped, "The drawing... Beatrice, the figure beside Nemona. She's the guardian reincarnated!"

Beatrice looked startled, her fingers clutching her violin tightly. "It's why I feel this connection, this pull towards Nemona, isn't it?."

Lionel looked somber. "We must set things right. Not just for Nemona, but for our family."

Suddenly, Gilbert, with an insightful gaze, said, "The other shadow, the one with the blue eyes, could he be the traitor? The one who betrayed Nemona?"

Jasper's revelation now became even more critical. We had to understand who this 'fuar' entity was and how he played into the entire saga.

I mused aloud, "If he's been lurking in the portraits, then he's been watching, waiting. Perhaps he's looking for something, or someone, to free him entirely."

Beatrice held her violin close, "Then it's not just about saving Nemona. We need to stop him too."