Chapter 21: Innocent to be

As I approached the entrance, breathless from the sprint, I turned to Gilbert. "Brace yourself," I murmured. "We're about to step into the unknown."

The grand doors groaned as we pushed them open, revealing a scene of devastation. The grand ballroom, which I remembered so clearly as a symbol of opulence, was now a war zone. Tattered drapes, smashed furniture, and the remnants of shattered glass lay strewn about. And at the heart of it all stood the dark man, engaged in a fierce face-off with the remnants of our team.

Beatrice, with every ounce of her willpower on display, was attempting to play her violin. Its haunting tune filled the air, and I could tell it was causing the dark man great discomfort. But his face twisted in rage as he shouted, "No more of your feeble melodies, guardian's kin!"

With a swift motion, a powerful surge of dark energy sprang from his fingertips. It struck Beatrice's violin, splintering it into fragments. She let out a heart-wrenching cry and crumpled to the floor, her most cherished possession destroyed.

"Beatrice!" Eleanor's anguished cry echoed in the vast room, as she raced to shield her fallen companion.

As the dark man's cold gaze met mine, a smirk twisted his lips. "Ah, Arria, you've brought more lambs to the slaughter?"

The sight of Beatrice, so vulnerable and defeated, ignited something deep within me. Clasping the scroll Gilbert had retrieved, I began uttering the inscribed incantations.

Gilbert, sensing my intent, warned, "Arria! Remember the balance! Don't overextend!"

I pressed on, my voice amplifying with the power of the words.

"Moros vel'tharin duleen,

Draekar hel'nar entween.

Talonar vhael ethrak ni,

Kor'deth malanar rilak si."

As I read on, something felt wrong. Though the incantation was written in foreign language, I sensed its nature.

As the incantation spilled from my lips, an overpowering rush of darkness began to pour out from the depths of the Celestial Circle. The room grew colder, and the atmosphere thickened with a palpable malevolence. Instead of repelling the dark man, the energies seemed to gravitate towards him, swirling and merging into his nebulous form.

"Eleanor! Something's wrong!" I cried, struggling to contain the power. But my voice was lost amid the roaring wind that whipped through the ballroom.

I felt Gilbert grip my arm, his touch cold. "I... I thought it was meant to help," he stammered, genuine confusion marring his features.

But the dark man's laughter, filled with an unsettling glee, echoed through the cavernous space, overpowering the chaotic sounds around us. "You foolish girl!" he jeered. "Did you really think you could control the abyss?"

Eleanor, clutching Beatrice, shouted over the tempest, "Arria, stop the incantation! It's feeding him!"

But I was trapped, unable to cease the incantation as the dark energy continued to pour forth.

The dark man stepped forward, towering over me. "Your new friend Gilbert was quite helpful," he sneered, the coldness in his eyes evident. "It's amazing what a little influence over the mind can achieve."

Horror dawned on me as I met Gilbert's gaze. "You... he controlled you?" My voice was barely a whisper, the treachery of the situation cutting deep.

Gilbert's eyes widened in realization. "I...I didn't know. He whispered promises, said the village held the key..."