Chapter 40

Did I want to watch them fight? No not really. I was far more interested in the Latro I just made as it moved to treat me. I was grunting as it tried to carefully move me forward to wipe the clamminess from my back. My mana was dropping by the second and I was well aware that I would not win the fight.

         The cool rag ran up my shirt, the motion slow and gentle. Glancing at the Latro that was not the same as the rest I offered my arm at the grasping of my wrist. This one was smaller, with legs more like my own, five smooth fingers on each hand, and its tail far shorter. It was different. Its mana softer, smoother. To call it a Latro left a taste in the back of my mouth. Similar? Yes, most definitely. But not the same.

         "Custos?" I asked staring at it from the corner of my eye. Its hands pausing around a large bruise on my stomach. Its head tilted as if to meet my gaze before silently going back to its task. Custos it is.

         My mana took a steep dive in a second as I grunted closing my eyes. Following after the mana so deep I found a war on the other side. Latros were so aggressive you'd think they were trying to kill those they were up against, Vitreus going toe-to-toe with Edward, and Rudy not rolling over either as she did her best to kill Averin, who was doing his best to not die.

        ... Someone may actually die if this continues. Even if kill orders were not given, the professors were pushing their limits, they'd be the death of themselves. And Vitreus was doing as he does and was actively going for Edward's early grave.

         Gods I really didn't want to do this... Sighing I moved to the thicker mana line that demanded no mana at all. Unchain her. I ordered, Vitreus's attack halting as Edward took the chance to put distance between them. Distance he quickly realized to be a mistake. Vitreus leaped away from him, going straight for Averin who was far to preoccupied with Rudy to notice.

       With nothing more than a flick of the tail, he had been sent flying right into the now charging Edward, both shouting at the force. Warmth grew in my throat as I hummed rubbing it as Vitreus spewed molten glass on the iron that didn't take long to redden. Nor did it take long for Ruby to realize. Her fire meeting his glass as it soon melted, the roar to leave her mouth one that shook the very trees. One so powerful I could hear it outside of my mana.

         Don't let her kill anyone, just get her out. I called as she was already leaping at the elites that had recovered quite quickly. With a growl, he had her tail in his mouth and dragged her back as as she was to swallow Edward. Who looked quite pale. Raising a brow as a cool rag continued to wipe down my leg, I just watched as Vitreus bit and dragged her farther and farther away from them as she whipped around doing her best to catch him.

          Help him. I sent through the smaller red lines as all my Latros snapped away from those they were fighting. She still can't fly, she'll be a sitting duck with them restraining her. I didn't even need to send an order as all sensed my thoughts, Latros stretching and melting as they climbed her, few being thrown off in her struggles as Vitreus was quick to spit his obsidian on her just the same. It didn't take very long for her to be swallowed in magic. Magic I could control.

        Forgive me, but I don't wish for you to die here. I tried to convey, her wings opening forcefully. Her struggles certainly notable but nothing to magic. With a few firm steps she was leaping into the air, the wind against my mana lovely as Vitreus gave them one last growl before following after. Once more a name ringing in my mana.

        "LILITH FUCKING WINDSOR!" I had a sneaking suspicion I was going to be beat again. Well, he'd have to hike back first. One thing was for sure, I couldn't keep her safe. Not right now at least. But she was still healing, she would not be able to fly without me. She needs somewhere safe. Someone that will protect her.

        And I hear that a particular woman is certainly staying at a village with people of a very reptilian scent. Guide her. I told Vitreus, unable to smell it myself. Just like that I was left to follow after him, the feeling above the clouds, the wind against my obsidian, the warmth of the mana that pulsed under my own.

       Opening my eyes I started at the ceiling for a long second, my body aching once again, as I could feel the pulse in my mana core. I need more mana. The thought alone had Custos leaving my side. Glancing at it as it riffled through my bag I smiled at the familiar vial.

       It was delivered at a comfortable pace as I drank it, my near empty core pulsing with mana in mere seconds as I stuck my tongue out and started at the vial. The taste terrible but not as bad as the shit food around this place.

      "Thank you," I nodded at the moving mana that just went back to caring for me. I wanted to sleep. To rest. But my magic wouldn't be pliable if I did. So, well, I just closed my eyes again, embracing the sky as large dark wings caught the corner of my gaze.