Chapter 10

"Oh, you really are a cocky one, huh?" The voice broke me out of my thoughts nearly as much as being slammed into the lockers behind me did. The hall traffic paused for a stiff moment at the sudden attack. The hateful gaze of the Perfect one I had already grown all too used to burning into me. "Not even greeting your upperclassmen? Really?" She snarled, her grip on my uniform tight as I stared at her tan hand.

            This was a first. Looking to keep her gaze, having not yet been harnessed in a public space, I found her even angrier. Pulling me she slammed me back far rougher. I winced at the newfound heat burning into my already sore back. "Here I thought we had finally taught you some manner, fake," She practically growled, curling her other arm back as dread dropped on my shoulders. I was going to be late for class.

            The hit certainly hurt but I had taken worse, she, however, did not appreciate my sigh. "A filthy wannabe dares? Someone who bought their way through accomplishments?" Suddenly, the frozen bystanders were picking the action they wanted to take. Most turned tail and left without a second thought, some lingering in curiosity, and even fewer calling out at the fight.

           With a few more painful punches, I found myself on the ground, spitting the familiar metallic taste from my mouth as I looked back up at her. However, it was not her gaze I found. It was the startled gaze of a yellow lizard. My eyes widened as I opened my mouth, only, a rough boot had slammed into my stomach before a single sound could leave.

        "Lilith-!" The beating pausing at the voice that pierced through the cheers, the older girl looking over her shoulder sharply at whoever dared to call such a filthy name. She shouldn't have called my name.

         "Where are you looking?" I asked pushing myself to my arms with a groan. Her gaze snapped to me before it could reach one I did not want to see what was happening. "Don't tell me you got scared? What? Can't handle a teacher?" I grinned, wiping my nose free from the blood she gifted me, getting onto shaky legs.

          "Who do you-"

         "Think I am? Come onnnn, how unoriginal are you going to get?" I snickered, opening my arms and offering a shrug with a small stumble. Keep your eyes on me. "I thought I was just a fake? What's there to be scared of?" I pressed, leaning towards her while she jolted back. Don't look away.

          "Mannerless trash!" She snarled, curling her arm back and giving me a punch far harder than her last ones. My eyes spin as I stumbled back, the lockers hardly keeping me upright as the world spun around me. Before I could focus she had her hands curled around the back of my neck- a knee rushing forwards my face.

          I couldn't even cry out as I stumbled only to fall to my knees the moment she released me. Grabbing my hair as everyone seemed to be doing she pulled me forward, her boot something I only saw for a moment. Gasping and panting I curled around my head, my eyes tightening closed at the rush of pain. Black spots bled into my sight.

          "You're nothing more than a glass mage. A fake wanna-be warrior that bought some standing because she couldn't accomplish anything on her own," She spat while I rolled to my back, blinking at the ceiling lights, the spots getting smaller as my gaze dropped found her back. Her gaze scanning the crowd harshly- why-Why the fuck does she care so much about someone calling my godsdamn name?

          Grunting, I forced myself to sit up, spitting the blood in my mouth, "You really think I care about what some low-ranking dumbass has to say?" I scowled, her shoulders stilling as that glare turned deadly.