Chapter 12: Primal Fear

The next morning things had more or less calmed down. Müller and Malfoy were still pretty cross with each other but that was to be expected.

Eventually Ramon had relented and healed the bruise for him, which erased most of his troubles as he was more concerned about his appearance than health. Typical.

But strangely enough, excuse the pun, Lestrange was acting off as well.

He seemed tense and uncomfortable as if he'd rather be somewhere else, only really talking to Tom and Harry.

It was probably nothing but Harry decided to keep a bit of an eye on him regardless.

The first class of their day was defense against the dark arts and Harry was really looking forward to it.

However that attitude faded somewhat when he caught sight of Benjamin Rose.

Hopefully it wouldn't be too awkward.

This hope was immediately squashed when Müller sat down right in the first row, as close to Rose as possible.

Lestrange meanwhile made it a point to sit all the way at the back of the classroom, pulling Black along with him.

What was his problem?

Harry couldn't linger much on the thought as Riddle suddenly slid into the empty seat next to him?

"You don't mind do you?"

Yes I do, leave me alone.

"No of course not."

"Great, thanks."

Professor Rose entered with her signature slam of the door, dark cloak billowing behind her. Harry shuddered thinking back to Snape but had to admit that the move actually looked cool on her.

Levitating behind her was a medium sized box that was rattling ominously and Harry did not like the sound of that thing at all.

She canceled the spell and dropped it at the front of the classroom.

"Now everyone, I want you to move your desks back so that we'll have plenty of space for today's lesson. Now, now hurry it up."

The students did as told and Riddle and Harry rested against their desks once they'd been pushed against the wall.

"Okay good work. Now, some of your displays last time made me rethink my lesson plan for this term and I think it might be good to revise some of the spells from the past years."

Everyone turned to look at Miller who's hand was still bandaged from the acrumantala incident.

He frowned and did not meet any of their eyes.

"Come closer. Does anyone have a guess as to what I brought out for you today?"

The students whispered amongst themselves and eventually Riddle raised his hand: "A boggart perhaps?"

"Oh? Why do you say that?"

"Well for one they like enclosed spaces like this box and the restlessness displayed here is characteristic for a boggart who has sensed nearby prey."

"Very good Mr. Riddle. You're exactly correct. 10 points to Slytherin."

Harry bit down his annoyance. He really has had enough of those things for a lifetime. At least he wouldn't pass out this time, thanks Remus.

He did not look forward to explaining why he was so disturbed by dementors who, as everyone knew, were strictly contained to azkaban at this point in time.