Chapter 10: Vile Touch

It turned out that just walking off and trying to navigate the forbidden forest was more easily said than done.

There was no easy way back up the cliff and climbing was out of the question in their injured state.

Luckily neither of them had accidentally snapped their wand and so they at least had means to defend themselves should anything try to attack them.

It wasn't unlikely either, the smell of their blood would attract something sooner or later.

And of course, noted Harry with embarrassment, Riddle was still holding his hand like it was the most natural thing in the world.

He hadn't let go once and Harry really wasn't sure how to bring up the subject so he just let it drop for now.

This was fine. Everything was fine.

Just holding hands and taking a stroll through the woods with the guy that murdered my parents.

Your usual Tuesday morning.

Riddle grew visibly more agitated the longer they walked and Harry didn't know what to say.

"So, uh", began Harry awkwardly, "maybe we could shoot off some sparks? I mean the others should be somewhere in the forest so they'll maybe see us and get help."

It worked well enough in the triwizard tournament if your name wasn't Harry Potter after all.

"And make every deadly predator in this forest aware of our location? Great idea Harry."

"Hey! At least I'm trying to actually suggest something that might help. You're just wandering around aimlessly without knowing where you're going. Looking like you know what you're doing and actually knowing are two different things you know? And we wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for you!"

Riddle opened his mouth to reply when they suddenly heard a twig snap from behind the treeline.

Harry and him both tensed and clutched their wands tight, looking on with wary anticipation.

They didn't have to wait long, a tall gangly creature came stumbling out, all limbs with too many joints. It's face was permanently stuck in a terrifying grimace but the scariest past was that it did not look at all dissimilar to a person.

What the bloody hell was this thing?

It ran clumsily towards them and they heard muscles snapping as it did so.

It looked to be in an incredible amount of pain as if it's very existence was agony and yet it seemed determined to attack them.

It almost reached Riddle, they were too caught of guard to cast a protective spell, when the most curious thing happened.

The being came to an ungraceful halt, almost collapsing in on itself when it locked eyes with Harry.

Harry swallowed.

Those eyes looked uncannily human, not monstrous or animal like.

The lump of skin pulled tight over all wrong and distorted bone structure let out a plethora of pitiful sounding growls and gargles.

Harry could almost swear that it was weeping but the thing hid it's face behind its long spindly hands.

Then, it reached one arm out towards Harry who stumbled back, but not quickly enough.

It's hand closed weakly around Harry's ankle and the touch sent a very strange painful feeling shooting through his veins.

Harry gasped and fell and the creature flinched, retracting its hand.