2 | A Secret Behind the Smile

If I told you that beauty is poison, would you ever believe me? Few rarely would, unless they were in the position I was in right now.

I was currently sitting in a quiet cafe, tucked away in a discrete corner of the street, with all four members of K/DA sharing the same table, all staring rather intently at me.

Starting from the left, was Kai'sa. Apart from Akali, Kai'sa was the second member of K/DA that I knew the most about. However, while Akali would be more of a friendly kind of person, being with Kai'sa came with a little more distance. She usually would help choreograph some of our dances, but our interactions rarely ever extended beyond that.

She wore on her face a small, concerned expression. One that denoted just the right amount of emotion. Not too much, and not too little. Perfectly apt given the rather business-like nature of our relationship.

Then, at her side was the ever illustrious Ahri herself. She was part of the half of K/DA I rarely ever had the pleasure of holding a full conversation with. I remember introducing ourselves in passing, but I always heard her name much more than I ever saw her face.

Being the leader of K/DA, I knew she shouldered a lot of responsibility, and thus, was extremely meticulous about the public image of the girl group. She had her eyebrows sternly knitted, seemingly displeased about the current arrangement, but as her eyes continued to flick over to the woman next to her, I could tell her concern didn't lay with me, but rather how the person at her side was conducting things.

Said person in question was the infamous diva, Evelynn. Joining Ahri as one of the two more elusive members of K/DA, her reputation far preceded her. She ignored the solemn glances Ahri shot towards her, instead focusing her gaze on me with an sly smile, as if deriving some kind of demented pleasure at watching me writhe against her scrutiny.

Finally, flanking her was Akali, the person who I had been talking to just earlier. She kept her eyes on me, but very often they would drift away as her face scrunched up in thought. However, one time, I could see her expression warp in guilt as she mouth an apology towards me. She must've not known that her groupmates had followed her.

Really, the whole situation was a bit dizzying. Or rather, headache inducing. This was all more pain than it was worth. I rubbed my temple, hoping to get it all over with.

"Really Eve? I'm not exactly sure why you're so concerned with a trainee," Ahri grumbled while pinching the bridge of her nose. "Especially the infamous (Y/N)."

Evelynn chuckled, dismissing her leader's protests with a wave of her hand.

"It's exactly because it's him that I'm rather interested," she explained before turning to me. "So tell me, (Y/N). What exactly did you do that had the agency in such a fluster?"

I opened my mouth, ready to shoot off my usual spiel of being unable to explain when Akali beat me to the punch.

"Don't bother. He won't say anything. I tried already."

"If he doesn't want to, then why try to force it out of him? It's none of our business the things he wants to keep a secret," Kai'sa then piped up.

I took a sip of the steaming coffee in front of me.

"Seems like your members already said everything," I remarked to Evelynn.

The diva crossed her legs in response, her coy smirk unfaltering even in my refusal to give in.

"Not even regular scandals can ruffle upper management like how you did. A girl can only wait so long in suspense you know? A man with mystery is popular, but a man who tells nothing is rather boring."