1 | A Rose By Any Other Name

"You can't do that to him!"

"I'm sorry, but we can't afford that bad publicity."

"What use is there in an agency that won't even protect their own people? You know what, if he leaves, then so will I!"

With his decisive proclamation, the room immediately erupted into a furious cacophony of argument and heated ardor. Suddenly, a cold voice pierced through the air.

"Stop it."

He extended his arm over the younger boy, putting an end to his contemptuous outburst, and similarly quieting the earlier din.

"I'll leave on my own accord. After thinking for a while, this kind of life isn't suited for me."

A thick silence persisted for a while after that statement. To his side, the boy wore an incredulous expression, a hint of despair creeping through his usually cheerful face.

"...I'm sorry once again. I wish you luck on any future endeavor."

The younger boy seethed with a clenched fist. Such words felt more like mockery.

"This isn't right," he forced out to the man beside him.

The idol sighed and pat the other boy's shoulder.

"It doesn't need to be right. Things are just the way they are."

And with that, he turned, beginning to walk away. At that fateful moment, every person's eyes regretfully lingered on his back that grew smaller with each passing second.

.

.

.

It had been a couple months now since I left behind my old life. Part of me slightly regretted the path that life took, but I was, for the most part, overwhelmingly satisfied with my decision. I realized that being an idol wasn't for me.

I loved music, and I loved performing. But the constant scrutinizing gaze and the corporate puppeteering would've snuffed out any semblance of passion I held for them. I knew that my old bandmates had similar doubts, but ultimately, they were much more tolerant of it than I was. I just wished we could've parted on better terms.

There's no use in lamenting over 'what-ifs' now though. What's done is done, and I simply just have to move on now.

I stretched my head to the side, feeling a knot straighten out with a distinct crack in my neck. Glimmering silver chains hung around it, making small sounds as they rubbed against each other. It was part of my aesthetic when I was still in the band, but partial as I was to the style, it was a flair that I kept.

After patting down my pockets to ensure I had all my stuff with me, I walked out the front door, locking it behind me. I fished out my phone, double checking the message displayed prominently on the front screen with a doubtful glare.

Hey, can we meet up for a bit?

To be honest, I was tempted to refuse as I wanted to completely leave behind all traces of my old life, but the sender of the message had been nothing but supportive and nice to me, so it didn't sit right with me not to at least grant her wish.

The meet up spot she sent me wasn't too far, so once I fully left the apartment complex, I took my skateboard and threw it to the ground as I stepped on, using one leg to propel the wheels forward. The rattling sound the wheels clattering against the pavement drummed like arrhythmic percussion, as if in some sort of syncopated beat.

Huh, seemed like I couldn't ever leave behind that musical aspect of me.

Oh well.

Thinking about my lost idol future didn't devastate me like it used to. I'd come to terms with it a long time ago, and as I contemplate it even now, I come closer and closer to the conclusion that it was for the best. Being that stage performer was a fleeting glory, not worth all the caveats it brought alongside it.