Chapter 21: Realization

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston, Massachusetts.

LEE JENO

It was evident that I wouldn't put anybody else at risk for a piece of evidence. Thus, I didn't ask Haechan to join me; instead, I told him to look after Jaemin in my absence. A subtle lie wouldn't hurt Jaemin—besides, I perceive he already knew I was visiting the apartment alone. Fortunately, he stayed true to his words and spoke with Layne about the case; he notified me about his knowledge a few minutes ago. I briefly read his message since I tried getting inside the explosion site discretely.

Eventually, I reached the floor and got inside the apartment. There was still debris all around, already taped with the warning sign. Cautiously, I looked around to find more evidence; moreover, I wanted to get the valuable object Professor Larsen and Henry Tanner hid in the place. Suddenly, I entered the room where the explosion occurred; it was the last area Jaemin investigated. Hence, I glanced at every corner until I found an inconsistency. The wallpaper from the room was peeling from the edge; thus, I approached it, crouched before it, and pulled the paper off the wall. Behind it was a small gap wide enough to fit my hand. Without hesitation, I put on a glove and introduced my hand into the opening, soon feeling an object inside it. I grabbed it and pulled out, unveiling the secret box behind the wallpaper. It didn't have a lock, so I opened it and saw a pen drive inside it.

—Another one? – I murmured, confused. Still, I didn't overthink; instead, I pulled my phone out and began taking pictures of everything: the room, the wallpaper, the box, and the pen drive. But suddenly, I stopped upon hearing my phone. I looked at the screen and saw Haechan's name; hence, I answered.

"Yes?" I said while placing the pen drive inside a plastic bag.

"Hyung, where are you? Are you still at the apartment?" Haechan asked; he sounded concerned.

"Yes. Why? Did something happen?" I questioned.

"Jaemin already informed Layne about the case; did he tell you?"

"Yes. Layne also texted me; he said he would talk to his father after his schedule," I said before hearing Haechan running. I frowned and stopped moving. "What's going on? Are you alright?"

"Yes, but I'm watching over Jaemin. Hyung, I think you must come," Haechan worriedly expressed.

"Why? What's going on?"

"Chance Fletcher is cornering Jaemin. I'm waiting on Renjun to aid him," Haechan explained, causing my blood to boil as soon as I heard Chance's name.

"Help Jaemin right now! I will be there soon," I solemnly told Haechan before hanging up. Immediately, I saved the evidence and exited the apartment as fast as feasible. Unconsciously, I ran outside, only thinking about Jaemin and how he must feel. I should've known that Fletcher would approach Jaemin if he were alone.