Chapter 1: A New Start

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston, Massachusetts.

*Moments later. At Boston Institute of Social Sciences*

-Jaemin's POV-

The first couple of lessons ended and now it's lunchtime. I came to the cafeteria with Renjun to eat and let the time pass by; however, I didn't expect my friend's haste after the last hour. Our class had an assignment for today, but Renjun didn't complete it at home; therefore, he's trying to finish it before the lesson.

Currently, I'm reading the latest case from one class, and in the meantime, Renjun is completing the essay for the upcoming hour. I can't stop chuckling every time I glance at my friend; after all, he looks hilarious when he's in a rush.

-Ah! You, keep reading your papers and leave me alone! – Renjun complained, annoyed. I merely snickered at his words as he continued typing away with speed.

-Huang Renjun, you had the entire weekend to complete this assignment. So, don't let out your anger with me. – I teased before looking back at the papers on my hand.

-Sure, sure, and you had the entire class to read those damn papers. – Renjun fired back. I raised the papers, pretending to get ready to hit him. My friend flinched before I smirked at his reaction, shortly placing my hand down.

-You, brat! – I scoffed before returning to my reading.

-Jaemin-ah! Why don't you focus on another case? Instead of wasting your time on something you solved out already. – Renjun questioned, his words immediately capturing my attention.

-Another case? – I asked, confused. I glanced at Renjun, who stayed focused on the laptop's screen while typing hastily.

-Yes! There's a rumor going around our department. Do you want to know? – Renjun questioned, which I nodded for in response. Then, I placed my papers down before looking at my friend. Renjun typed one last key, ere glancing back at me with a grin. -There's a mystery going through the hallways that involve our faculty; people say it has to do with one of our teachers. This person is leaking essential information about the institute for a financial reward; however, nobody knows the identity of this person. – Renjun explained, not leaving any detail behind.

-This teacher is in our faculty, so why do other students know about this? – I asked, confused.

-If the situation's outcome is right, everyone would get side effects from the leaked information. Therefore, several students from other faculties know about it. – Renjun disclosed before the bell rang; time for the next class.

-Do you think it's real? – I asked while both of us stood up and started to get ready to leave.

-It might be; everything is possible in this life and institute. – Renjun pointed out, which I nodded for in response, understanding the reason behind his words.

-You are right about that, buddy. – I sighed before grabbing my bag, shortly walking away from the cafeteria with Renjun. -Did you finish your essay? – I asked while pointing at the laptop under his wing.

-Oh! Yes! I was fast enough. – Renjun proudly said, causing me to release a subtle chuckle.

We continued to walk towards the exit when suddenly, we passed next to a group of girls.

-The mystery inside the criminology faculty is very grave. – One of the girls said.

-Yes! Do you think someone will solve it? – Another one questioned.

-I don't know, but if I have to bet on someone to resolve everything, I would say Lee Jeno. – The girl excitedly answered.

-Yes! Mr. Lee is the best! – The other girl replied before the group started to fangirl over Jeno.

I rolled my eyes while feeling a strange sensation inside me. I felt left behind as if my efforts didn't give me the right to get recognized by others.

Lee Jeno isn't the only one that can solve a case. I did it before, and I will do it again!

-I believe we need to open a new investigation. – I suddenly spoke after listening to my inner thoughts.

-Are you for real? – Renjun asked, surprised.

I nodded as we walked out of the cafeteria. -We already sorted out a case by ourselves; who says this time will be different? – I questioned before glancing at Renjun.

-Alright! Let's help our faculty to get rid of a rat! – Renjun smiled at me before we fist-bumped, both already on sync like in our first case.

*Hours later. At the institute's library*

Today's lessons ended; I said goodbye to Renjun since I wanted to stay at the library before going home. Currently, I'm finishing an assignment while simultaneously enjoying this lonely time to think. After today's sudden case, I got numerous inquiries without answers. And also, Lee Jeno began bothering me more than other times; he got stuck inside my head, and this time the reason isn't related to my feelings.

After hearing various students talking about the mystery inside the criminology faculty, I noticed many similarities; everyone wants Lee Jeno and Lee Donghyuck to resolve the case. We, the criminology students, don't have the opportunity to sort out the problem based on our faculty. It is repulsive to my classmates and me. Everyone has worked so hard for Lee Jeno and his partner to come and take it all.

-But you still like him, don't you? Jaemin? – I silently asked myself before releasing a long sigh. Shortly, I placed the book between my hands on the table, and then I sat down on the chair.

I opened the book, trying to find the information about my investigation; however, I couldn't stop procrastinating. It is hard to focus when my attention is drifting away.

Lee Jeno, investigating a mystery inside the criminology faculty. Am I honestly going to surrender to this?

Immediately, I shook my head, rejecting the ideas that came to my head. Briefly, I took out my small notebook from my bag and opened the last page. I made a list of the teachers that give lectures to the criminology career. It's easy to identify them; after all, I've shared my three years of college with those professionals.

Not even the "god" Lee Jeno can know everything about the criminology faculty. I will take his titles away; he shouldn't be so narcissistic; humbleness is also a necessary trait for a lawyer.

-I will get to the bottom of this mystery before you do. – I cheered myself before reviewing the list of teachers, shortly adding a few details about the professions each one has. I already did some research with Renjun's help; therefore, I can say we are a step ahead.

I want to resolve a case or take over an investigation because I have the intention to bring clarity to others who require it. Sometimes, I enjoy helping people get the truth and ease their hearts with a logical investigation. However, this time, I did it as a challenge. One part of me doesn't want Lee Jeno to get another title. I believe he's very idolized by the students inside the institute. Therefore, I fear that the guy I like may become selfish and devious. Perhaps I want to keep a clean image of Jeno inside my head; that might be the excuse that forbids my mind and heart to move on from Jeno.

We don't even know each other, and I'm already trying to move on from you. Such a weird thing what love can do.