"After?"

"After I convinced you to sneak away and meet me."

She raised a brow, "Like Marta?"

Cenric paused as a grin overtook his face, "I knew you remembered her name."

Scoffing, Danaë retorted, "Of course I did. She used to be my bathing attendant, but afterward I couldn't look her in the eye."

He chuckled, a deep, resonant sound that reverberated through his chest, "Were you jealous, Princess?"

Meeting his eyes, she admitted, "Yes, for a multitude of reasons."

His mirth faded, and he regarded her seriously.

"I envied her." Raising her chin, Danaë continued, "She may have been a low-born servant, but she had the kind of freedom that I would never know. She could dance, sing, smoke, and drink if she wanted to. She could lay with whatever man would have her. Meanwhile," she sucked in a breath, "I was constantly being watched and scrutinized - my world was a cage made of other peoples' expectations, and every detail of my future was being planned out for me, including who I'd be expected to share a bed with."

As he silently watched, she concluded, "I can't say I would have traded places with her, but that was something of hers that I'd never have."

Cenric's thumb rubbed against her back, soothing, "Danaë?"

"Hmm?"

"I swear to you, as long as there is life in my body, you can dance, sing, smoke and drink to your heart's content."

Danaë smirked, "As long as I'm sharing your bed, of course."

"Even if you weren't."

Her eyes met his, "Really?"

"Well," his lips curved into a faint grin, "We both know you like sharing my bed."

"Do we?"

Cenric brushed his lips against her ear, "I've heard the sounds you make with me, Princess. Don't try to deny it now."

"And who's to say that I wouldn't choose someone else, given the chance?" She teased.

"The fact that you came to my door when you needed help."

She sighed, shaking her head slightly.

"What, Princess?"

"Nothing."

"Tell me," he insisted.

"Just..." she swallowed, "I used to think that I came to you because nobody would have expected it."

"And now?" Cenric asked, curious.

"Now- now I know it's because I knew that you would take me in." She shrugged, "It didn't matter if Maxson was fast on my heels - you would have protected me, regardless."

Pulling her closer, he pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, promising, "With my last breath."

Later, as the night's festivities wound down, Cenric led Danaë back to their bedchamber.

A roaring fire burned in the hearth, and she was pleased to note that the maids had finished unpacking in their absence, even clearing away the mess from that afternoon's bath.

Standing in the flickering firelight, Danaë watched as Cenric divested himself of his shirt and shoes, dropping them on the flagstone floor before turning toward her.