"Be careful there Nox," Alek said seriously, "You look at me any longer and people are going to start thinking you're into me."

Nox stopped in his tracks, making Keros almost run into him. My entire body stilled as I wondered whether Nox would jump over the table and attempt to strangle Alek. Not that he would get very far. My money would be on Alek. Instead, Nox surprised me by releasing a bout of laughter. But the sinister edge to it reinforced that it wasn't a friendly exchange.

"Don't be revolting, Alek. I'm just imagining how much I'm going to enjoy watching the light fade from your eyes in the second task," Nox spat out.

"And how exactly do you plan on doing that? Are you going to turn the lights off on me?" Alek plucked a grape from the fruit platter in front of him and popped it into his mouth.

Nox's lips lifted into a knowing smile. "You'll see," he replied smoothly, before leading the others out of the room.

Alek's light expression darkened as soon as Nox's back was turned. Now it was his turn to imagine himself strangling Nox.

"It probably isn't the smartest idea to stir up trouble with him," I murmured softly.

Alek shot me an amused look. "I know, but it's pretty damn irresistible. Like me."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes at him. "I'm being serious."

After a moment of my silence, he sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Yeah, I know. I had a moment of weakness. I won't rile him up again. Those three will be the biggest competition in the second tournament."

I glanced again at their retreating backs as they left the Dining Hall. With Nox able to move with the fluidity of shadows, Keros with a penchant for pain and Thanos with the strength of a bull, they would be difficult to fight against. Even the thought of their combined powers sent a cold shiver through to the bottom of my spine. I prayed that I wouldn't be put in a position where I would be up against them.

Alek caught my concerned expression, and he tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear, pulling me back to reality. "Hey," he said softly. "It will be okay. We'll be able to beat them."

"How?"

He grinned devilishly. "Because I know their weaknesses. Look over there," he said, nodding in the direction of the far end of the table. I followed his line of sight and found Ariane staring at the door, where the trio had been standing mere moments before. Ariane's doe eyes were glazed with longing until she blinked a few times, pulling herself from her reverie to continue her conversation with her brother, Amar.

I frowned and made a disgusted face. "You're saying Ariane likes Nox?"

Alek made a similarly disgusted reaction. "Oh God, no. Ariane and Keros like each other. I caught Keros giving Ariane the exact same look at the ball last night. There was also the fact that Keros was practically green with jealousy when he saw Himeros dancing with her for a good part of a song."

I berated myself for not being as perceptive as Alek last night. I had been too distracted by Alek in his black suit to even notice anything or anyone else.

"Then there's Thanos..." Alek trailed off.

"What about him?"

"He injured his right shoulder doing some weight training in the gym the other day. He keeps it hidden, but he's had to strap his shoulder for the past few days. My guess is it's a recurring injury, since he doesn't seem to be too put off by it."

I thought back to the previous few days and realised he was right – I hadn't seen him completing any of his usual exercises in the gym. "And what about Nox?"