Davon Elder

Davon knew he was unwanted. He wasn't stupid. The bruises that covered his body underneath this insufferable suit and tie said as much. The golden opulence of the ballroom was filled with all of Lord Gerald's business associates and rich-ass friends. Davon was hiding behind a large plant by one of the many buffet tables around the room. He simply watched the world, playing with the piercings in his pointed Fae ears.

"Did you hear about the Trials in two years?" Davon watched as a beautiful human woman with brunette hair turned to her Fae companion. The Fae female was even more beautiful, with shifting silvery-blonde hair.

"I know Thetos is trying to put together a team that might actually make it through those Trials without losing anyone. He's on a trip right now collecting one of his champions." The Fae female's voice was like honey dripping down his senses. Her companion nodded.

"Last I heard, he already has two." The brunette said.

"Who is it?" The woman shrugged at her Fae companion's question.

"I don't know." The brunette shook her head. "I'm surprised you don't know anything about them, despite the two of you being cousins."

"Thetos lives in his own world. I'm realistic." The Fae female said. Davon shifted slightly, his suit brushing against the plant in front of him. The female shifted her head, angling a pointed ear towards the plant.

"Faeling, you should probably come out before I reduce you to a pile of ice chips." The female purred. "I'd hate to ruin this beautiful plant."

Hastily, Davon stepped out. He knew how sensitive his ears and his nose were, but that was insane. He had barely brushed that plant and she knew he was at least part Fae.

"Hello." Davon waved awkwardly at the two ladies. The human woman smiled at him, but the Fae female gave him a cold once over.

"Who are you?" The female asks, running a stiletto nail down her champagne glass.

"Davon Elder." Davon was pretty sure this female was about to shred him into pieces, but the cold look disappeared a little when he said his name.

"Elder's bastard born," the Fae female mused. The female looked at the brunette with a look Davon couldn't quite read. The woman, however, just shrugged.

"Sit down, love." The human said, smiling. She gestured to the chair by her. "Elda won't bite." The Fae female, Elda, smiled at him as if she would. The human gave her a glare.

"The lord doesn't really like me mingling with the guests." Davon stammered. The brunette waved her hand.

"Don't you worry about Lord Gerald. Just sit."

Davon sat in the chair warily, watching the two females and the room. Elda's eyes narrowed on him, flicking over the way he shifted in his seat and scanned the room.

"I'm Liliana, and my companion is Elda," the human woman said. She smiled at him again. "I don't think we've ever spoke, even though I've spoke to Lord Gerald plenty."

"Like I said, Lord Gerald doesn't like me interacting with the guests at his parties."

"Or with anyone." Elda was still staring Davon down. "He likes to keep you locked away, apparently." She looked over his ears. "Wonder if he doesn't like that his bastard is half-Fae."

"Elda! That's rude!" Liliana swatted Elda's arm lightly. Elda merely shrugged, shifting to scan the room.

"Elda is a bit on edge tonight. I apologize for her behavior." Liliana frowned at her companion.

"It's fine," Davon said. Liliana looked at him with an eye that made him wonder if she painted.

"You look a lot like her, did you know that?" Davon frowned at Liliana.

"Like who?" Elda turned back to look at Davon, surprise lighting her cold eyes for the first time.

"Your mother, boy. Amaya." Elda frowned at him. "Have you never seen pictures of her or anything?" Davon shook his head.

"Lord Gerald removed all of her pictures when she died." Davon didn't dare tell the cold Fae female that Gerald had then saved all the pictures only to smash them all on Davon's fifth birthday as a "gift". Judging from the growing rage in her eyes just from what he said, he had a feeling she would destroy every damn piece of this mansion.

"Did he now?" Elda's voice was a lethal purr. "And let me guess, he blames her death on you." Liliana gasped at Elda's brashness, but Elda merely held up a hand to silence the woman. She leaned across the table, the scent of wisteria and fresh frost wafting up his nose. "Does he, boy? Does he blame her death on you?"

Davon stilled. Elda savagely smiled. "Has he ever told you that you have her face? How you have her honey-blonde hair? Or that you have her sparkling spring eyes? Has he, boy?"

Davon looked at Elda. The female's eyes were a peculiar light shade of blue that pierced into him. Her face was hard now, but the rage in her eyes was the same.

"I asked you a question, boy." Davon took a deep steadying breath.

"He tells me that at least once a day." Davon lied. "Now excuse me, ladies."

As he left, Elda turned to Liliana, who gave her a glare.

"Now look what you did. You scared him off." Elda merely picked up her flute and took a small sip, a small smile adorning her mouth.