Davon

The female threw a knife faster than Davon could register it. He heard a dull thud from behind him. The female whistled as she looked around.

     "Damn, Elda was not kidding." She looked at him. "You look like shit." 

     The female crossed to him. Davon flinched away from her, but she held up her hands. 

     "I'm going to get you out of here. Elda's waiting in the car and Gerald is going notice that his lackey isn't reporting to him soon," she said. She extended her hand to him. "Let me help you." 

     Davon stared her down. The female was soft featured, her eyes a warm chocolate color.

     "I am not going to hurt you. I swear it on my life. Okay?"

     "Who are you?" Davon whispered. The female walked over to the black bag on the floor, grabbing it off the floor. She began rummaging through it as she spoke.

     "Lys Bakkar. And before you ask, no I'm not from the prancing circles of these rich assholes."

     "Why are you here?" Davon didn't care he sounded weak. He was more interested in how the hell she managed this.

     "I told you, to rescue you." Lys dropped the bag, turning back to him. She walked over to his hands, unlocking the chains around his wrists. She helped Davon stand up. Shadows snaked around his legs. Davon tried to brush them off, but they didn't go anywhere. Panic rose in his throat.

     "Those are my shadows. They're going to help you stand and walk on your own." Lys explained. "Now, come on." 

     She led him out of the room, stepping over the man's body like it was trash on the street. Davon tried not to look at the knife embedded in his head like a gruesome unicorn. When they got outside the doorway, Lys stopped looked back inside into his room, shadows beginning to rise from the walls. Lys merely waved her hand and the shadows began to smash around the room.

     "Lets go." Lys strode down the hall as Davon watched the shadows destroy his room. The post was still standing in the middle, like it was just trying to taunt him. 

     He stared at that post, that thing of pain and despair. For the first time in his life, he let the rage well up. Let all the pain and anguish and despair fill him. He felt a chill flood his body as he held up a single hand. 

     Davon let all that rage go like a breath in cool air. 

     He heard a slight rumble and then the window exploded.

     Thorny vines burst through the window, wild and ferocious. They slammed into the post, breaking it in half. They covered every thing, filling the space until he could see nothing but thorns in an open door way. He breathed again, reeling in that wild, beautiful gift. The thorns gleamed and glistened in the hallway light. 

     "That was one hell of a show." Lys said from behind Davon, making him jump. She gestured to the thorns. "You have an amazing magic."

     "I didn't even know that's what it was," Davon told her, walking past her. "I just let it out."

     "Good." Lys fell into step beside him. "You deserve it."

     They walked down the hall a little bit, where Lys opened a door. She motioned for him to go inside, closing the door behind him. A mass of shadows appeared. 

     "This is how we'll remain undetected. Get in." 

     "How is this going to hide us?" 

     "I'm half-wraith. My shadows are different than how other's abilities work. More potent and with a mind of their own." Lys says stepping in. "That's how."

     "You're a half-breed too?" Lys nodded. 

     "I've got a smidgen of Fae too, from my dad. Hence the red hair." 

     Davon stepped in, letting the shadow close behind him. "It's a gorgeous color." 

     Lys's face fell for a slight second before she smiled. "Thank you. Now lets get the fuck out of here."