Endless Chicken Baskets

Start from the beginning

I stood up next to her, "I can't come up to your room?" A little smirk.

She glared at me and crossed her arms, "I didn't clean."

20 minutes later (because Scarlett couldn't decide on which Crocs to wear) we were in the car.

She looked over to me for the millionth time, "Where are we going?"

"I told you 10 minutes ago." I glanced at her, "It's a surprise."

She groaned and crossed her arms, "You can just tell me."

I rolled my eyes as I pulled onto my street. Ironically, Wilson Street.

Scarlett's neighborhood was less of a neighborhood and more of a few people stretched across miles of land who never see each other. Ever. My neighborhood had a park down the street and a sidewalk that runs over our driveway. Her house has a garage for each member of the house. We have two. Both full of lawn equipment.

"This is the way to your house!" She looked at me, "We're going to your house?"

I nodded as I pulled in front of the yellow house with ivy all over the front. My mother's doing. My father would rather have a plain gray home. Filled with no personality. He just can't bear to change any of it. Neither can I.

"I thought I could show you my room." I shrugged and opened the door, "Melly's probably here too but we haven't really been talking."

She looked at me, "Are you sure you want me here?"

I raised my eyebrows, "Why wouldn't I?"

"Sydney told me you don't ever bring anyone home. Ever."

I looked at her for a moment, trying to find the best response in my head. "I just hate being here. And my dad's never here anyway so it's not a thing." I looked away and shook my head, "It's not a thing."

She put her hand on my back, "It's not a thing, then."

We walked straight through the front door. All of the lights were off. But the curtains were open, letting the evening light in.

She looked around the living room and then looked at me.

"Right." I nodded and turned towards the stairs, "My room's this way." I held out my hand for her to take.

Once she did, I led her up to the attic. It was the biggest room in the house and when I turned 13, I decided I wanted it.

When we reached the very top of the stairs, I turned back to look at her, "It's not much. Honestly, it kinda sucks. And I have an O'Reilly jersey hung up but that's not who I am anymore."

She giggled, "Show me your room, dork."

I sighed and opened the door.

The room was cold. I haven't been up here in a week so the heater hasn't been on. And it's October.

She smiled at me, "This is so you, Natalie."

I glared at her, "It is not."

She looked around and turned back to me, her smile still on her lips, "It so is."

"Shut up."

She rolled her eyes, "Make me."

I raised my eyebrows, "Challenging me, Santoro?"

She shrugged, "It smells like weed in here, Wilson."

I raised my eyebrows and inhaled through my nose, "It does not. I haven't had weed in here-" I looked at the vent, "Thank you lord."