Chapter 12

Read, enjoy and vote!

——

Samar went to his mother's room to wake her, but he saw her already dressed. "We are all hiking after breakfast," Samar says. "I know about it, and I am dressed for it," Anupama says. "I spoke to Henry last night like you had said. He reassured me that our relationship will stay the same. He said I should ask your permission if I can call him dad," Samar says.

"I am happy you've gotten reassurance, but I don't think you should call him dad. It will only complicate things for you," Anupama says. "He doesn't have a problem, and neither do I, so I will call him dad," Samar says. He walks out of the room.

"I am going to call your so-called dad to handle it," Anupama called Henry to report Samar's behaviour. Three minutes after she hung up, she heard a knock on her door. Samar came with looking down on the floor. "I am sorry for walking out on you when we were talking," Samar says. "Never do that again," She says.

Samar came in and hugged her. "He does behave like my dad, though. He scolded me so much in just two minutes for being rude to you," Samar says. "Hmm," Anupama says. "He doesn't need to be your husband, but he can be my dad. I just organically want to call him that," Samar says.

"I will think about it," Anupama says. "Thank you. I am waiting for you downstairs," Samar says. Samar left, and she put on her shoes after a few minutes. She knocked in front of Anuj's door.

Anuj was shirtless when he opened the door. "Sorry, I thought it was Paritosh," Anuj says. He let her in and quickly went to wear his top. "I needed your advice on something," Anu says. "What's going on?" Anuj asks. "Samar has asked my permission to call Henry dad. Henry is fine with it, but they want my approval," Anupama says.

"Wow, that's a big thing," Anuj says. "I know, but I don't want Samar to get confused or have more complicated relationships. He did say to me that Henry can be his dad but not my husband," Anu says. "He is quite mature, but he is a minor, and your word counts," Anuj says.

"Henry has been a part of major moments in his life, so I understand why they both want to stick to each other. But I want to move on with my life," Anupama says. "So then the complication you are talking about is for yourself and not Samar," Anuj says.

"Samar is clear about his decisions, but I have to admit that I am amazed by the bond that they share. Henry does behave very fatherly towards him," Anupama says. "If you can, let them have this. Only if you can," Anuj says. There was a knock on the door, and Anupama opened it. It was Rakhi.

"Oh, what are you doing here? It's Paritosh and Anuj ji's room," Rakhi says. "Yes, I know. Anuj was giving me parenting advice, and he is the best," Anupama says. "Let's go for breakfast," Anuj resurfaces. "I just came to call you down, Mr Kapadia," Rakhi says.

They left the room together, and Rakhi messaged Anika.

Why didn't you come? There is a single mother here who is always walking around Anuj. —Rakhi.

I am busy with work, Rakhi. We don't have any single mom in our group. — Anika.

Anupama Joshi. Her son is in Pakhi's class, and they are all friends, so he was invited. — Rakhi.

I've heard her name in my circle recently. She's the businesswoman who was engaged to the white guy. What business will she have in these Indian men? —Anika.

You need to put a face to her name and read more about her than just her former relationship. I've seen doctor friends who are least bothered about the business world tell me about her success abroad and the company's valuation that she will inherit. She ticks all the boxes that a man in today's world wants. She's an attractive and well-spoken woman, and even though I don't like her, I can't deny that she's intelligent. Beauty, wealth and brains. — Rakhi.