Chapter 6

Read, vote and comment.
Enjoy.

-----

Sept 13th, 2023

6:39 pm

Anupama carried her bags and left the office. "Where are you going? We have a meeting with the textile team tomorrow," Shravan says. "I know, and I have done my prep," Anupama says.

"Your dad won't be there, so you need to act CEO. We need to discuss this," Shravan says. "I am sorry but I can't right now. I need to go and meet an old friend I haven't met in two decades," Anupama says.

"Is it really important?" Shravan asks. "It is to me," Anupama says. "Okay, can you come over to work early tomorrow?" Shravan asks. "I can do that," Anupama says.

"I will see you at 7 am," Shravan says. "Thank you for understanding," Anupama says. Anupama walked out of the office. She drove to the restaurant that Devika had decided.

-----

"You are fifteen minutes late. You kept me waiting," Devika says. "I am so sorry. I was coming and then this guy at work stopped me and we had to talk about something," Anupama says.

"This guy from work. You have already started office romance," Devika says. "Shut up, I don't just date people at work. Dad said the same thing," Anupama says. "Because he is like that only," Devika says.

"What do you know about my father's romances?" Anupama asks. "Excuse me, he used to tell all of us about his romance with your mom," Devika says. "I remember. I used to be so embarrassed," Anupama says.

"They were so cute," Devika says. "That's true. The woman he dated after my mom's death was from the office only," Anupama says. "We all thought he would remarry," Devika says. "I know. I liked her but Dad didn't want to take that step," Anupama says.

"How are you? How is life?" Devika asks. "I am just trying to move on and be there for my dad and son," Anupama says. "My daughter said he is in her class. I have to meet him," Devika says.

"I would like to meet your daughter too," Anupama says. "I am sorry that I cut off from you. My parents were going through such a public divorce and I was ashamed, " Devika says.

Anupama held her hand. "I am sorry that I didn't force you harder to talk to me. We just grew far apart," Anupama says. "I never imagined that we would not speak for twenty years," Devika says.

"Can we start over?" Anupama asks. "Yes, please," Devika says, they hug it out. The waiter came over and they ordered their food. "Tell me how you became such a big-name event planner. You wanted to be a journalist," Anupama says.

"I studied journalism and all, but I didn't enjoy the work. The in-job politics were too much to handle," Devika says. "How did you start planning events?" Anupama asks.

"My last job was to cover a prolific business family wedding. Anika Desai and Anuj Kapadia. I ended up following the events planner everywhere and I loved it. I asked them for a job and eventually made the switch," Devika says.

"Everyone knows he was a married man except me," Anupama murmurs. "What did you say?" Devika asks. "Oh, nothing. How interesting that your kid school's at Anuj's school," Anupama says. "I know right?" Devika says.

Their food came and they thanked the waiter. "How old were you when you adopted Samar?" Devika asks. "I was thirty-one when I started the process but he didn't legally become my son until I was thirty-four," Anupama says.

"Why did it take three years?" Devika asks. "I was engaged when my cousin died and I began the process. Vikram and I had just gotten engaged," Anupama says.