Chapter 10 - Wounded Souls

Arnav parked the car near Khushi's flat building, Mohan Kaka was about to get down the car to open the door for Khushi when Arnav stopped him, "Rehne do.. jyada heropanti dikhane ki jaroorat nahi hai (Let it be.. you don't need to show off yourself as a filmy hero much)." 

Arnav got down the car, leaving an embarrassed Mohan Kaka behind. He opened the door for Khushi, who silently got down the car.

She noticed Arnav wanted to accompany her till her house door, so she turned to him with a polite smile, "Thank you for saving me and dropping me home. You don't need to worry, I can manage to go upstairs on my own."

He looked at her with his stoic gaze before saying with a bossy tone, "Chalo! (Let's go)."

Khushi gulped, intimidated by his tone. She turned to go forward as he followed behind. By now, Khushi already understood that this man is really stubborn and determined to do whatever he wants. He doesn't seem to listen to anyone except Mohan Kaka.

*****************************************

While they're climbing up the stairs to reach her floor, Khushi remembered something as she looked at Arnav's side curiously, "Sir.. if you don't mind, can I ask you something?"

"I do mind. Miss Gupta, don't forget that you're just my PA. The fact that I saved you when you fainted and dropped you home, doesn't give you any right to start a casual conversation with me. I'm not your friend now," he replied rudely.

"I know my limits, sir. And trust me, it's not my intention to behave casually or friendly with you after you saved me either," Khushi explained, "But I need to ask you one thing. It's really important for me to know," she ended with an urgent, worried tone.

"Shoot!" he curtly replied.

"I actually.. wanted to know.. what were you doing in that guest house?" Khushi asked with a hesitant tone, fidgeting her duppata.

"And then you claim to know your limits," he shook his head mockingly.

"It's not what you're thinking," Khushi sighed. She took a deep break before continuing, "Okay, let me explain my side of the story. Then you will understand why I asked you this question."

"That guest house was actually my home in the past. It belonged to my late parents, and I also lived there with my elder brother before my parents passed away. But after my parents left this world, my elder brother had to sell our house to Mr.Sinha so he could start a small business and be able to take care of me. But after he bought our house, Mr.Sinha didn't do anything with it, as we learned that he left the city and the house remained untouched. I've got old keys of the house, that's why sometimes I go there when I miss my parents. And that's why I'm asking how you got access to that house?"

"I'm planning to buy it from Mr.Sinha. I was there to check the house conditions," he let her know the reason for his presence in her old home.

"Oh," that's what Khushi managed to utter as she tried to act unaffected but failed miserably. Her face fell, and she lowered her head with misty eyes. If Arnav buys the old guest house, he will be taking the most precious place from her. Her parent's home is the only place she feels closest to her parents. The place is very close to her heart.

As they reached the third floor, they walked through the corridor that led to Khushi's house. When they reached the door of her house, Khushi was already feeling her heart heavy and aching. She was just trying her best act composed in front of Arnav, but she really wanted to lock herself up in her room and cry her heart out. This was surely one of the worst days of her life. First, Aman broke her heart, she broke off her engagement, and now, she gets to know that her parents' home is being snatched away from her.