Chapter 24

I had never been to this tower before. There were only two rooms I saw on our way up - perhaps it was a guard post. No, too grand to be one. I tried to brace myself for what was to come. After ascending the stairs, we were lead down a hall.

Julius stiffening by my side and I cast a curious glance his way. He exhaled deeply and shook his head. It did nothing to assure me but I let him keep his thoughts to himself. If they were important to the case, I trusted him to share them with me.

My attention returned to the place we were being led to. Light poured out from a doorway a few feet away. Once we entered, I saw an unfamiliar face staring back at me.

General Victor huffed and flicked his wrist, "Tell them what your idea is."

"Umm...." I cleared my throat.

"Oh-" the general said. "This gentleman is a trusted advisor in our court and, apparently, now an expert in curses." He rolled his eyes.

The man in front of us extended his hand from behind his silky white robes towards mine to shake it. The delicate rings in his hands glimmered brightly and small gold chains chimed softly when he moved. I slowly extended my own hand. Julius nodded at him as he inspected him from head to toe.

He said, "What is this about, Lord Rostov?"

The man, now identified as Lord Rostov, clasped his hands together, "People do not like me talking about this and have been discouraging me from bringing it to your attention. However, I have been silent long enough."

"Yes?" Ravenswood encouraged him to go on to soften the effect of The General's glare.

"When you visited the coachman's house and met his daughter.....I believe you found her hysterical?"

I nodded, "Yes, she was screaming about passing on a-"

"Curse? I am disappointed nobody told you about it." He frowned at Ravenswood.

"We are both students of science." He rolled his shoulders. "I don't find it necessary to pay mind to such baseless claims."

"People spend their entire lives on making prophecies like that, Julius." Lord Rostov shook his head. "I have been silent till now because this murder incident seemed to be contained but I can not ignore it now that it has spread into the castle."

I interrupted, desperately out of the loop, "I apologize for interrupting but what exactly have I been called here for, at this hour of the night?"

Lord Rostov sighed, "There have been rumors, some with more evidence to back them up than others, of a curse. I am sure you know that slavery was a common practice here back in the more....shameful days."

I nodded.

He continued, "Well, some members of higher social status were more cruel to those humans than they were to their pet animals. One dutchess got in her brain that if she bathed in the blood of her servant girls, it would cure her illness."

Still not understanding why that mattered right now, I frowned, "What illness are we talking about? These people clearly didn't die of an illness."

"No, but their blood was drained. " Lord rostov said.

"Are you suggesting someone is repeating the methods of the Dutchess?" Ravenswood asked. He didn't seem the least bit interested from his place leaning against the doorframe. In fact, he looked as if he might start inspecting his nails any moment.

"No, my dear boy, I am suggesting that perhaps The Dutchess is back."

"Oh, dear God give me strength. " general Victor exclaimed from his place near a table. I was suspecting him to say something soon. He wasn't the type to stay silent for a long time. "It would make more sense if our very human murderer was copying the myth."

"She is not a myth, my-"

"Even if she isn't-" I interjected, "It does make sense if someone is taking inspiration from her heinous crimes rather than the idea that some kind of undead dutchess is at large after hundreds of years."

"It would if this was happening at any other time." Lord rostov said. His kind eyes twinkled under the candlelight. "But for this to happen right after the crown prince became of age is too much of a coincidence. "

"Why?" I looked back at Ravenswood.

"Because he is the last true male Heir of the house of Necaz."

"The house of...." I let the question hang.

Ravenswood sighed in exasperation before explaining, "Our bloodline was split into two many centuries ago. Currently, the house of Necaz holds the throne. Apparently, we have been doomed to be cursed and more sinister things would happen that I was told of but did not bother to remember because it is all make believe for someone to make a pretty penny."

Lord rostov smiled in amusement, "Well, I am glad you found it to be thoroughly boring." After a deep breath, he addressed me again, "Even if it may not be the curse, I think it would be close minded of you, as a scientist, to not atleast consider it. And anyways, it could always be a copycat and I'm glad to point you in a good direction, though misguided my attempts may seem."

I bodded me head as a goodbye, "We will make sure to present the possibility of the copycat to Professor Sclovisky and investigate it further. Thank you."

General Victor sprung up from his seat, "Are we done with this nonsense? Excellent! Let me escort you two back to your quarters." I was more or less pushed outside and the General turned to look at Lord Rostov once more. "For making me listen to this story for the hundredth time, I better not see your face for a week."

Lord Rostov waved at him, "Of course. I will see you in the house we both live in, in the bedroom we have shared for ten years now."

General Victor scoffed, "You are sleeping on the sofa." Lord Rostov raised his eyebrows in amusement which immediately lead to a change in the General's tone. "Or perhaps, I will. To avoid you."

"Anything you like, light of my life." Lord Rostov said in a sing-song voice before shutting in door in his face.

After several moments of silence, Ravenswood extended his arm to me and we both left quietly, leaving the General to gape at the brass handles.