chapter thirty-nine

Começar do início

"Congratulations to all of my seniors." The principal spoke. "There's a senior who's no longer here, and we've all grieved him and will continue grieving him."

Indigo head shot up from her phone as multiple people started to look at her.

"Sevyn's life was taken short, and it hurt everyone who knew him; I hope he knows how much we loved him." The coach spoke. "A few weeks after Sevyn passed, he got a scholarship for his dream school. Sevyn's dream was to go to Ohio State and play for their football team until he was drafted into the NFL, which would have come true. We believed in you, Sevyn, and miss you daily."

"We would just like to take a moment for Sevyn."

Indigo finally released the breath she didn't know she was holding; she couldn't stop the tears from falling as they took their moment.

Everything Sevyn worked for would come true, and he wasn't here to bask in it.

She hated his killer.

~

Mai, her brothers, and her mother waited outside the jailhouse for Mackenzie to leave. They'd already been there for twenty minutes and were starting to become impatient. They waited another twelve minutes before the gates opened, allowing a few girls to walk out, Mackenzie being one of them. 

Mai yelled, running towards her sister as she jumped on her. Mac laughed, holding Mai in her arms; she smiled, holding onto her sister tight. Her mother and brothers walked over to them to get some hugs. 

"Momma, I'm so hungry," Mac said, making them chuckle. 

"Let's go then. I have your father watching the food." She smiled as they all got into the car.

They drove forty-five minutes, catching up on things they didn't tell her; Maicee was so excited she couldn't wait to get out of the car. She was overstimulated. 

When they entered the house, the living room had been decorated, and the platters of food were placed out buffet style. Mac smiled, not bothering to say anything to anyone; she wanted to eat and then make it to all of her appointments. 

"What do you have planned for yourself now?" Their father, Matthew, asked. 

"Well, I was able to keep up with my grades, so I will be in the correct grade. I want to do field hockey, whatever school I can attend, and get a job." 

"Hm, what kind of job were you looking to get? 

"Nothing fast food, maybe Ross or something. I don't know, I'm going to look tonight." 

"Have you been able to make amends?" 

"Nah, but I would love to have a conversation with Haven."

"She took off the restraining order so you can come back to school," Maicee informed.

"For real?" Mac smiled. "I didn't think she would. Do you think she is ready to have a conversation with me?" 

"I don't know, you can come with me tonight. We're all supposed to do this activity if your appointments are on time."

"Yeah, I'll think about it." Mac nodded, weary. 

~

Prom was everything Flaire thought it was; she was upset Brat couldn't come, but it was okay because they would be together for the rest of their lives. Flaire woke up, makeup still on her face, butt naked as the day she was born.