chapter twenty-eight

Flaire walked into Indigo's room, assuming she was sleeping, but she was staring into space with tears slowly running down her face. Indigo has been doing the same thing for the past two weeks; she would either go to Sevyn's house and sleep in his bed and be in his clothes or come home and be in clothes.

She hasn't spoken in two weeks. She hasn't eaten an authentic meal in two weeks. It came to the point where she didn't even want to shower; her sisters would have to bathe her for her to wash. 

"You feel like eating, sissy?" Flaire asked, holding shrimp alfredo in her hand. "Devon cooked, so you know it's good."

Indigo didn't move or even blink, which Flaire expected.

"Everyone at school has been checking on you; your coach was here earlier."

Flaire started picking up things on the floor since Indigo also didn't clean.

Depression was kicking Indigo's ass, and nobody knew how to help. The only person that could help wasn't there, and they weren't sure if they should give her space or be overbearing. 

"I'm just going to leave the food here, sissy; I love you. I'll check back on you later." 

Flaire walked out of her room as she leaned on the door for a second, wiping the tears in her eyes. She hated she didn't know what to do; if she could take all of Indigo's pain, she would without a second thought. 

"You okay?" Devon asked, walking up the stairs.

"Seeing her like that every day breaks my heart every time," Flaire said, wiping her eyes. "She's only sixteen; she shouldn't feel so much pain in her life."

"Life unfair, man." He shook his head, walking to her to hug her. "Grief is weird. One day she'll be okay, but she's not right now, and that's okay. She needs to know she has us to depend on." 

"Wassup D?" Martin said, walking up the stairs. "She here today?"

Martin hasn't seen her since the funeral because of his work schedule, and whenever he does come, she'll be at Sevyn's house.

"Yeah, go ahead," Devon said as he and Flaire moved out of the way.

Martin walked into the room, looking at Indigo, who didn't even acknowledge him. He looked around her room, noticing it was slightly different. He walked to her bathroom, grabbed the extra tissue roll, and walked back toward her.

He took off his shoes getting in bed with her; he lifted her a little, allowing her to lie on his chest while he wiped her face.

It hurt him so much seeing his friend go through this. 

"Yaknow, the first time I met Sevyn, he made sure to tell me my place." Martin chuckled. "He was like Indi know she could have friends and shit cause I trust her, but you and your cousin better only be a friend. I respected it, though, and I respected him; he was a good dude who made a few mistakes."

He wasn't talking to expect a response; he knew she wasn't talking, but he wanted to speak.

"Your sisters and brother don't know what to do because when your mom died, you weren't like this. They were falling apart, and you were the one being there for everybody. As sisters, all of you have y'all titles. Haven is the shy, reserved one, Flaire is the mean outspoken one, Genesis is the motherly silent killer type, and you're the outgoing, cheerful one. It's hard for everyone seeing you not be okay; we all wanna take your pain away."

Indigo closed her eyes tightly as she whimpered a little, making Martin hold her tighter; he knew there wasn't a right thing to say, but he was trying.