𝐃𝐇 𝟏𝟐

Depuis le début

"How did he get hurt? I mean" — Harry shook his head, trying to clear it, to make sense of whatever had just taken place — "why are we here? I thought we were going back to Grimmauld Place?"

Hermione took a deep breath. She looked close to tears. "Harry, I don't think we're going to be able to go back there."

"What d'you — ?"

"As we Disapparated, Yaxley caught hold of me and I couldn't get rid of him, he was too strong, and he was still holding on when we arrived at Grimmauld Place, and then — well, I think he must have seen the door, and thought we were stopping there, so he slackened his grip and I managed to shake him off and I brought us here instead!"

"But then, where's he? Hang on. . . . You don't mean he's at Grimmauld Place? He can't get in there?"

Her eyes sparkled with unshed tears as she nodded.

"Harry, I think he can. I — I forced him to let go with a Revulsion Jinx, but I'd already taken him inside the Fidelius Charm's protection. Since Dumbledore died, we're Secret-Keepers, so I've given him the secret, haven't I?"

There was no pretending; Harry was sure she was right. It was a serious blow. If Yaxley could now get inside the house, there was no way that they could return. Even now, he could be bringing other Death Eaters in there by Apparition.

Gloomy and oppressive though the house was, it had been their one safe refuge: even, now that Kreacher was so much happier and friendlier, a kind of home.

With a twinge of regret that had nothing to do with food, Harry imagined the house-elf busying himself over the steak-and-kidney pie that Emily, Harry, Ron, and Hermione would never eat.

"Harry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!"

"Don't be stupid, it wasn't your fault! If anything, it was mine. . . ."

Harry put his hand in his pocket and drew out Mad-Eye's eye.

Hermione recoiled, looking horrified.

"Umbridge had stuck it to her office door, to spy on people. I couldn't leave it there . . . but that's how they knew there were intruders."

Before Hermione could answer, Ron groaned and opened his eyes. He was still gray and his face glistened with sweat.

"How d'you feel?" Hermione whispered.

"Lousy," croaked Ron, wincing as he felt his injured arm. "Where are we?"

"In the woods where they held the Quidditch World Cup," said Hermione. "I wanted somewhere enclosed, undercover, and this was —"

Harry stopped listening when another noise distracted him. He turned around to see Emily stood on her feet, tears streaming out of her eyes whilst he chest rose and lowered quickly as she struggled to catch her breath.

Harry jumped to his feet and ran over to her, "Hey!" he shouted, taking ahold of her shaking hands, "Emily, what is it?"

"I-I don't know. H-harry."

"It's okay." said Harry, speaking calmly, "We're away from all of that now. Emily, look at me, you're safe. I've got you, okay?"

Emily nodded before she flung her arms around Harry's neck and regained her breathing whilst she hid her face in his neck.

She looked up and glanced around at the apparently deserted glade. She could not help remembering what had happened the last time they had Apparated to the first place Hermione had thought of — how Death Eaters had found them within minutes. Had it been Legilimency?