Four

Another You

Chapter Four: Rowan Hates American Football

"Until your history's no mystery to me."

-Without You Without Them, boygenius

He hated the silence that the morning brought

He hated the silence that the morning brought. The night had been full of screaming, Rowan and Grams trying their best to try and get Bonnie to understand but she just couldn't. She couldn't understand why. Why had Rowan hidden everything? Rowan hid everything because he wanted to control when things happened, and he wanted to keep Bonnie safe for as long as possible. The best intentions stepped over the line of agency.

Hiding Bonnie's identity from her would never be okay and Rowan knew that now. But hiding the circumstances of his existence in this reality had been the hardest part for Bonnie to accept. There was an endless void of mixed emotions that she needed to just feel all on her own. Rowan just waking up one day in this life had to be so confusing for him, would she have owned up to that on the first day? Or would she have waited a year and a half like he did? He had been the one to tell her, Rowan owned up to every decision he made and every truth that he hid. It wasn't somebody else telling his story, it was her brother. Rowan was her brother and nothing was going to change that.

The following night was filled with apologies on both sides.

"I'm sorry that something I chose to do hurt you, Bonnie." Rowan whispered that first night.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't find a way to understand you, Rowan." Bonnie returned his whisper the following night.

The next morning wasn't so silent, they weren't the same as they were before but that was the good thing. Words that had gone unsaid for so long brought a new level of understanding between the Bennett siblings. They were going to be okay. They were always going to find a way to be okay.

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

Rowan was growing tired of having revelations. Elena and Stefan had been boyfriend and girlfriend at this point in the show. Which had seemed rather fast to him but it was a fictional tv show. It had been a fictional tv show and now it was his reality. He was nowhere close to being boyfriend material, he was tempted to send Tyler a fruit basket with a note that thanked him for the trauma that was holding him back.

"I'm not saying don't date the guy. I'm just saying take it slow." Hearing these words from Elena's mouth sounded really weird to Rowan.

"You were the one who said to go for it." Bonnie argued with Elena on Rowan's behalf. They had officially swapped roles here, that's lovely. What was he supposed to do with that?

"Now I'm saying take it slow." Elena defended. Rowan wanted to somehow disappear into the ground.

"Why the about-face?" Bonnie pressed on, neither her or Elena ever looking over at Rowan for his opinion.