One

Another You
Chapter One: Rowan Should Have Spent His Lunch Period Differently

Another YouChapter One: Rowan Should Have Spent His Lunch Period Differently

Rowan knew that eventually one day he would lose her. One day, he would lose his sister. The second sister he had been gifted, he smiled from the back seat as Bonnie told Elena about the conversation they had with their Grams over the weekend.

"So Grams is telling me I'm psychic. Our ancestors were from Salem, witches and all that, I know, crazy, but she's going on and on about it, and I'm like, put this woman in a home already! But then I started thinking, I predicted Obama and I predicted Heath Ledger, and I still think Florida will break off and turn into little resort islands." Bonnie recalled while also talking about the things that keep her up at night. The what if's that she told her shower head about.

Rowan knew that Bonnie was a witch, and he also knew that he and their grandmother are as well. At least Bonnie had her own magical power. Rowan just had the ability to use magic, he had no way to produce magic power on his own. A siphoner is what his Grams called it and it was just as rare as being reborn into another universe. Maybe Rowan should be happier than he was but all of his secrets that were being carried by his ghosts were holding him back.

"Elena! Rowan! Back in the car." Bonnie called out, startling the two of them.

"I did it again, didn't I? I--I'm sorry, Bonnie. You were telling me that." Elena left her thought open-ended, it was the best she could do.

"That I'm psychic now." Bonnie provided. A kind smile on her face to let Elena know that she didn't need to be perfect in front of her.

"Right. Okay, then predict something. About me." Elena asked Bonnie, her eyes going to Rowan as well.

"I see..." Bonnie's words were about to get cut off by a crow hitting the car. So Rowan reached forward, seemingly randomly, to hold Elena's hand to try and help settle her anxiety. She was already scared to be in a car, Rowan just wanted to try and help somehow.

The bird hit and Rowan's hands lit up, a glowing red enveloped them. He had forgotten that Elena was technically supernatural and he could draw power from her.

"Is everyone okay?" Rowan pushed his upper body in between the two front seats to see both girls. Bonnie was able to shake it off but Rowan was still worried about Elena. She had been easy to dislike when she was just a character to him, but now she was real and he couldn't satiate his need to help.

"It's okay. I'm fine." Elena's words indicated a need for a change in subject.

"It was like a bird or something. It came out of nowhere." Bonnie didn't catch on quite yet.

"Really, I can't be freaked out by cars for the rest of my life." Elena's words grew a bit more defensive.

"You can be freaked out by cars for the rest of your life, Elena. Don't force yourself to follow a timeline." Rowan didn't catch on to the need for a change of subject either, but Elena still smiled at him.