Chapter 1

Batman was on patrol when his intercom began to beep. Answering the call, he was met with Commissioner Gordon's digital face. "Gordon" Bruce said in acknowledgement.

"We've gotten a call that Joker has been spotted in Founder's Park. There's been no reports of destruction, but you might want to check it out" The police chief spoke, quick and to the point. "Thanks, Gordon. I'll let you know what happens"

Ending the call, Batman made his way to the location provided. It was a slow night, so he hoped Joker didn't have anything big up his sleeve. Perching himself above a building overlooking the park, he saw Joker sat on one of the swings. He swung himself back and forth, and Batman sighed at the childishness of it all. Unable to see Joker well, he decided to make himself known.

Gliding down, his boots made a small thump on the grass behind the other man. Surprisingly, Joker flinched, quickly turning around the get a look at whoever was disturbing his peace. His shoulders only relaxed slightly upon realizing it was just the Bat.

"Joker" Batman spoke, walking so he could see the other clearly in the dingy streetlights beam. He was surprised by the others appearance. His usual suit was gone, only wearing a baggy top and knee-length shorts. Though, his clothes and the back of his slender legs were covered with blood, so he kept himself alert. "What happened?" He asked, confused by this slightly uncharacteristic discovery. Joker always took pride in his appearance, and now that Batman paid attention, his lipstick and mascara was smudged, almost like he had been crying.

"Why do you care?" Joker asked, and Bruce was caught off guard by the venom behind his tone. His playful movement of swinging back and forth contradicted his tone, and he noticed that there was no usual smirk that followed the others words. Joker was off, and it in turn made Bruce feel uneasy.

Not sure how to reply to that comment, he decided to ask something else instead, that might help him grasp onto Joker's current mood. "What happened to your suit?" 

It seemed he wasn't going to get a reply, so he went to speak again, before being cut off. "It was shredded" Joker mumbled. "So there wasn't much else for me to choose from"

Bruce took that into consideration. "Why did you shred it?" "Who said I did?" The silence befell them once again, and Batman got annoyed at the short replies he was getting. "I need to take you to GCPD for questioning" 

Joker gave him a glare, stopping his swinging movements. "I won't lie to you, Batsy, I've had a bit of a shitty fucking month. Leave me alone, I ain't doing nothing" That venom was back, and Bruce stepped closer to argue, but that only seemed to anger the other more.

A knife he hadn't noticed was suddenly pointed towards him, and the expression the clown held made him freeze. "Another fucking step, and I'll butcher you" He could see the anger behind those eyes, but also some other emotion, one he couldn't pin-point. All he knew was that he'd never seen it on the Joker's face before. It made his gut twist, feeling like something was seriously wrong but not knowing what or how to help.

He decided to do something he usually wouldn't do in the Batsuit. He forced himself to relax, before asking something personal. "How has your month been shit, Joker? I can't help if you wont talk to me"

Joker was silent, knife slowly lowering itself in the mans hold. "Who asked for you to help me?" He spoke, but that venom was gone, replaced with something that sounded like sadness. Joker was human, sadness was a perfectly reasonable emotion, but not for the Joker. Bruce wasn't sure what to make of that. 

Surprisingly, The Joker continued. "Let's just say that me and Harv got into a bit of a squabble" He spat that name with such disgust that Bruce knew there was more to Joker's statement, but he didn't pry. Even if he wanted to. Joker had given up with the knife, hand now in his lap, and Bruce took that as an invitation to step closer. Joker didn't protest.

"Do you need medical attention?" He asked, not sure if the blood was from someone else, or the Joker himself. "I don't need anything besides being left alone" Joker rolled his eyes, seemingly coming to the conclusion that his little safe space had been 'raided'. So he stood, only to tumble to the floor with a groan. 

Bruce quickly caught him before he could seriously hurt himself, and took note of the others eyes beginning to close. "Joker?" He called out, more alert that the other was slowly losing consciousness. He stood up, holding the other bridal style and using a tissue scanner for any sign of a wound. 

His eyes widened in surprise. The amount of open-wounded gashes and oddly shaped scars took him by surprise. No wonder Joker was so faint, the amount of blood he was loosing could be fatal.

Bruce had to act quickly. He needed to question Joker, and Joker seemed almost fragile right now, so GCPD or a Hospital seemed out of the option. He was quickly hit with a probably stupid idea, but he couldn't think of another option.

He didn't think he'd ever been more glad that Joker knew his secret identity.

Calling the batmobile, Bruce made his way to Wayne Tower.