Chapter 8- Fragility of Life

--Alexa POV--

--Alexa POV--

"Alexa Marlowe?" He echoed my words, seeming to believe them as I nodded my head in confirmation, not believing that it was a full lie.

"Yes." I spoke.

"So, what was it that you said? You forgive this man for almost trying to burn you alive? And not just you, but your eagle and guardian too?" He gestured to a stiff John and an impatient Ryder who seemed like he was trying his best not to squawk in anyone's face.

"Yes, I forgive him." That, I knew, was the truth.

"Why?" He asked, sounding genuinely curious as he raised a brow.

"Because... If you hold people accountable for actions they failed to commit even after they've shown regret for it then that would make me more evil than them, I believe... Also, he seems pitiful, and I felt bad." I added on, gesturing to the whimpering soldier behind him.

For a moment, stiff silence hung in the air as he thought over my words, but then he laughed. Heartily, his head fell back as his mouth fell open and he laughed with all his chest, making me think over what I just said as I wondered if it were truly that hilarious.

"And, what is your name?" I found myself asking once he began to calm down, wiping away the entertained tears of laughter that had pricked his tear ducts.

My question took him by surprise, and the surprise was, no doubt about it, caused due to the fact that I didn't know who he was even though he was the King of the strongest nation in the world. But the fact is, I did, in fact, know who he was, I was just asking for the sake of it.

"You don't know who I am?" He pointed at himself.

"You're a King who likes to be in control. I know that much, and you're Valentino's father." I stated as he hummed, blatantly observing me as though I were an odd being.

"So, you've met my son."

"Yes, he was an interesting man."

"And why do you say that?" He failed to hide his smirk.

"Does there need to be one thing about someone that makes them interesting?" I returned his question with one of my own, cocking my head to the side as his smirk grew larger.

"No, but can you name one for me?" He didn't say please, but the polite tone of voice he used to ask me the question made me give him the answer nonetheless.

"He's quiet, and awkward, but when he needs to be, he can easily take control of the situation with one sentence; I've not met a lot of people in my life, but out of all those whom I have met, he is, without a doubt, the oddest of them all." I didn't say those words with any good or bad intentions, I simply spoke it as I saw it, but this man, the King of Lysandra, seemed to take it as a compliment towards his son as his smirk morphed into a gentle, almost fatherly, smile.