Chapter 4- An Ignorant Bliss

--Alexa POV--

--Alexa POV--

"Ryder. Pick on that frightened little squirrel one more time, and I'll sling you to the other end of the island. Without using any powers." At my words, the eagle instantly shut up, turning away from the quivering squirrel to look at me as if asking if I'm being serious.

Ryder was an eagle that I saved when he was a baby, I had expected him to fly off once he'd fully recovered, but to my surprise, he decided to stick by my side, which has remained the same for the past few years.

"Wanna bet?" I raised a brow, and he took the hint that enough was enough, leaving the smaller animal alone as he jumped up, flapping his wings to rest on my shoulder as I continued to eat the berries that John had so nicely plucked for me.

"Only Alexa would pick fights with animals,"

"I've seen you fight with Ryder more often than not, John."

"That doesn't count, it's one sided. I'm scolding him, not fighting with him," He defended as the eagle squawked his disagreement, receiving a glare from John in reply, and as the two of them continued to bicker, I silently fed the innocent squirrel some berries.

I was 18 years of age now; John and I made the day I washed up on shore my Birthday since I didn't remember the actual date. John was 21 years of age, and every now and then I would be reminded of how much time has passed since I've been on this island.

I've clearly grown up, no longer that short 13-year-old girl that didn't know how to control her powers and was always running wild around the island, and begging John to read her stories. Actually, now that I look at it, other than my appearance, not much has changed; Somehow, my personality has remained the same.

"What are you thinking about in so much depth?" John curiously asked, looking like he'd finished fighting with Ryder.

"Just how I'm a little weird." I mumbled, scratching the back of my neck.

"Just a little?" The glare I sent him had him laughing as he raised his arms in surrender, and I sighed, exasperated, rolling my eyes at him as I handed the last few berries to the little squirrel and Ryder before standing up.

"Where are you going now?" John curiously asked, his gaze following me.

"To wash up before I head to bed. With all the running and training I did today, I'm a sweaty mess," I answered, looking down at myself where the dirt had begun to dry up on my skin and clothes, but it was a sight I'd gotten used to.

I may not be living an ordinary life, but it was extraordinary to me, and every day is filled with a joyful bliss that I didn't mind being covered in ignorance. 

Thanks to John, I learnt about my love for studying; There's a certain joy that comes with learning something new that fuels my desire to keep studying. When we're not studying, we're often training in self-defence, and while that's something I wasn't the best at, I enjoyed it, nonetheless.