"Why Africa?" I laughed.

"I don't know," he smiled, "I thought it was cool there."

"I've been there, it's interesting. But of all the places I've seen, now I want to go back to my home."

"In Madrid?"

"No, in Russia."

"And nowhere else?"

I've been thinking.

"You know, actually, my coolest trip was to Pantelleria."

Troy frowned:

"Where's that?"

"An island, near Sicily."

"Sicily... Sicily... That's in Italy?"

"You're a geographer," I thought with a chuckle.

"You've traveled a lot."

"Yes, thanks to Aron."

"That was your husband's name?"

"Yes. He had conferences all over the world, so we traveled," I smiled to myself, remembering Aron.

When I looked at Troy, I saw a disgruntled expression on his face. I didn't ask, he started it:

"Why do you still bring up your husband all the time? You're not living that life anymore, you can forget him."

"It's not that easy."

"He's dead, do you understand!" He didn't shout, but he spoke very rudely, as if I had offended him in some way.

"I understand. But why are you talking like that? I'm just making conversation and..."

"No, you're putting him everywhere you can, it's getting annoying! Oh, he's so wonderful! He took me to Sicily and who knows where else!" Troy imitated my voice, "So what? Where's your awesome husband? It didn't work out for him! Because he's not that cool!"

"Troy! Shut up!"

"Why?! Somebody had to tell you that!"

We were driving down La Brea Avenue, I knew it well, here in one of the restaurants, we were going to celebrate my sister's wedding. Troy was starting to yell. He wouldn't shut up. But at some point, he stopped abruptly when he looked at me. I started crying. He seemed to want me to, and I did. Troy stopped the car. The street was still dark and empty. All the houses, stores, and cafes were empty. There were no people here. At least, no living ones. There was no wind, the palm trees along the road seemed artificial in their stillness. I wasn't sobbing in my voice, just tears rolling down my face and I stared at nothing, occasional sobs breaking the silence. He was silent. About five minutes passed. I wasn't calming down. Apparently Troy's stupor was replaced by pity, because he wrapped his arms around me abruptly and pulled me against him. I wanted him to do that.

"I didn't mean to, I don't know what came over me. I'm an asshole, but I don't usually do this," he rested my head against his chin, "I'm sorry, Della."

I was slowly starting to calm down. Yes, he was right, I was taking what was happening like a dream or a movie. It was high time I let go of the past and didn't indulge in sweet thoughts. I wouldn't see Aron again, I wouldn't find myself in Madrid or London in a beautiful dress at one of his business meetings. No. That's it. There will be no more of that. All I have now is rough boots and a ranch.

"You're right Troy, I need to let go of the past and accept what is," I looked at my watch, Troy intercepted my eye and began to unbutton lock. When he took the watch off and held it out to me, I looked at the mother-of-pearl insert on the dial. Dead Love was in my hand, and I wanted to put it in my pocket, but Troy took my hand and snatched it away. The watch flew out the window.

"I'll find you a new one, there's a place." We drove down the avenue and turned right.

"Stay in the car, I'll scout the situation," he got out, closing the door carefully. 

I wasn't going after him. Looking at my empty wrist, I realized I was now clearly aware of reality. Yes, I'm here. It was all true now. It couldn't have been otherwise. As I pondered, walkers began to approach the car. Apparently, Troy hadn't been attentive enough to make sure no one heard the door slam. I got out of the car, pulled a knife out of my backpack, and quickly killed two walkers. There was a third one coming towards me, and about 15 more about 20 meters away. "Where's Troy?" ran through my head. After killing the third one, I realized I couldn't handle the crowd alone, and I wanted to start the car. But then my companion finally showed up.

"Where have you been so long?!"

He calmly walked over to me, pulled a new watch out of his pocket, and calmly began to put it on my arm.

"Troy! Can't you see dead people? Wake up!" I was going crazy. The walkers were getting close. Putting new watch on my arm, his eyes stopped on mine, he took my neck with both hands and leaned in to kiss me on the lips. I responded, ignoring everything that was happening around me.