This building was once an office skyscraper, according to Brenda. And they had made it work for the apocalypse well by the looks of it. Most of the office cubicles had been shed of their original attributes to make dorm rooms for their militia. They had started just as Brenda and Jorge and a few colleagues, but they grew as more survivors crossed through the Scorch.

They had sat Thomas and I in a former meeting room, and they wanted to know a lot.

So we told them.

I wouldn't talk about the millions of ways we attempted to leave the Maze, especially the one that got Nick killed. And Thomas didn't say a thing about the illusions WICKED had tricked us into seeing or the final control room where Chuck was murdered.

Somethings are just too suffocatingly painful to ever mention again.

"Well goddamn. And Cally was with you through all that?" Jorge took a swig of something from a glass bottle.

"Up until the Scorch, yes." I looked down at my hands, which were smeared with dirt stains.

"You boys must be hungry," He said in response. "Brenda here will take you to our pantry. I'm afraid there's not many options but we have enough to share."

"Thank you, sir." Thomas shook his hand.

"Oh god, please, none of that shit. Just Jorge." Thomas nodded.

"Right," Brenda stuffed her pistol in her waistband. "Follow me."

***

Brenda led us down the stairs and into a shelved storage room. There were cans of soups, vegetables, and pasta in sauce on one wall. And on the other there was rows of boxes cereal and dried goods like rice and flour. On the floor there were cases and cases of water bottles and more of the brown glass bottles Jorge was drinking from earlier.

"Bloody hell," I muttered under breath, copying Newt without even realizing it. Thomas laughed at me.

"This is amazing," He said, getting a closer look at the food.

Brenda scoffed, "Yeah. Jorge was one hell of a doomsday planner."

"He worked here?" I asked.

"Owned the coporation." Brenda shrugged. "Grab what you want for your group and I'll take you to them."

Thomas nodded, grabbing cans and stuffing them in a laundry basket.

I nudged the case of brown bottles with my foot, "What's this?"

Brenda chuckled, "Y'all have never seen beer? Shit, I bet you've never been drunk even."

I shrugged, "We made alcohol in the Maze. But it didnt look like this."

Brenda grabbed one, popping it open with her knife. "Here."

I took a sip, it wasn't like something I had tasted before. "Foamy," I noted.

She laughed again and handed me a case, "Take some back to your friends."

I smiled, "Thank you."

She saluted me, "No problem."

I laughed and I could tell she was happy to have company with people close to her age.

***