CHAPTER 5. DOUBLE-CROSS

*Author's note: This chapter contains some mature language, references nudity and adult situations.

There are moments in our lives that teach us lessons that we aren't always prepared for, but what we learn from them...those are the lessons that help shape who we become later in life. I guess in moments like these, it reveals a lot about our upbringing too. I was taught to panic and overreact from watching my parents. I soon realized that that never got me anywhere though, so I started trying to calm myself down in stressful situations so I could think things through before I reacted. I was really proud of myself and how far I had come, until tonight. I didn't want to end up like my parents, so I still had a lot of work to do to try to control my emotions. I realized if I was going to survive here this summer, I not only needed to grow thicker skin; I needed to get my shit together.

Another thing I've had to learn the hard way is some people aren't always who they seem to be, and they lie. Why? Because they have ulterior motives and love causing trouble for other people. I guess they're so miserable themselves that they want to drag others down with them. You know the old saying, "misery loves company". I think people like Bethany get off on playing mind games and watching people suffer, as fucked up as that may sound.

You sort of find yourself at a big disadvantage too when you're in a new place and you don't have any idea who you can trust. So all you can do is try your best to use your gut instinct and sometimes even that's wrong.

I learned a lot of things the hard way my first night in Santa Barbara. I met a gorgeous guy, fell hard for him and spent the rest of the night bawling my eyes out because he wasn't who I thought he was. I really didn't know what to believe or who I could trust. It was a different world here, and I was a fish out of water on a beach filled with sharks.

I didn't come here looking to fall in love. I came here to work on myself and to get away from my chaotic life back home. After getting involved with Dylan and finding out from Bethany, he wasn't who I thought he was, my life back home was looking better and better to me by the minute.

I was devastated after everything I had gone through, and I wasn't afraid to admit that. I was desperate and needed to hear a familiar voice. My mom was probably passed out drunk on the sofa. My dad was busy with his fiancée and his new life, so Cameron was all I had. So when I picked up the phone, I didn't hesitate to call him. Yeah, he could be a real pain in my ass sometimes, but he could also be charming and sweet when he wanted to be, and I needed some advice. Like I said, I was desperate, and he was all I had.

"Cameron?"

"Yeah."

"Do you have a minute?"

"Yes, I'm getting ready to play some Nintendo. Aren't you having fun in San...ta Bar...bara?"

"No, actually I'm not! I hate it here. Everyone is so rude, and I almost drowned at Erica's friend's house tonight."

"What the hell were you doing in a pool? You don't even know how to swim, dumbass!"

"Duh Cameron, I got pushed in by two guys that were fighting!"

"Let me guess. They were fighting over you?"

"Yeah, but that's not the point. I'm alright by the way! Thanks for your concern!"

"Don't be such a damn drama
Queen, Chloe! I know you're alright because you're talking to me and seem to be breathing ok!"

"Whatever Cameron! How are things going? How's mom?"

"Everything's fine. Mom passed out hours ago in her favorite spot. She said to tell you hi if you called, though."