Chapter Nine : Living In A Mad World

Start from the beginning

Anne looked back up at Sebastian. "Does Ominis know his sister's getting bullied?"

Sebastian frowned. "Doubt it."

Sabrina said something to Corvina, who meekly nodded back before she stood up. A moment later, Corvina was walking out of the Great Hall with the Hufflepuff boy and the Slytherin girl to get cleaned up. Sabrina got up and joined her friends again, meeting their gaze. "What?"

"Do you know who that is?" Sebastian asked. "That's Corvina, Ominis' younger sister."

Sabrina nodded, but didn't seem surprised. "I wondered. She looks like her brother."

Anne frowned. "She's so small too. It's too bad she has to go through this."

"Maybe if Ominis would step up and be a brother, she wouldn't have to," Sebastian spoke in between bites of food.

Sabrina looked up then, and a second later she was back on her feet. "I'll meet you at the Quidditch game." Before she could say anything, she was gone.

Ominis sat down with the twins a moment later. "Good morning."

Anne scoffed silently. Great, now Sabrina's avoiding him too.

It felt like the entire school had crowded into the large Quidditch stands. The noise was almost deafening, and it only made Anne more nervous.

She did, however, love how she looked in her brand new Slytherin jersey. The emerald striped silk robes shimmered in the sunlight, and it hardly felt like Anne was wearing anything at all. It fit perfectly over the rest of her uniform, and she felt a slight warmth of pride when she saw the 'SALLOW 16' on the back. Sebastian had a near identical jersey, only his read 'SALLOW 11.'

Anne had just finished strapping on her arm and leg guards when Imelda gathered the team together. "I know I'm hard on you," she began. "But it's because I know we can be great. And just because this is an exhibition game does not mean we can take it easy. I expect the absolute best from every one of you."

"Do we know who we're playing?" Adrien Pucey asked.

Imelda shook her head. "Professor Kogawa said she'll announce it in front of everyone."

A few minutes later, the team watched from the locker room as Imelda approached the grounds with the other Quidditch captains. Madam Kogawa greeted them in the center, holding up a large bowl for everyone to see.

"We are going to draw from the bowl the first two teams to play!" Madam Kogawa announced. The stands filled with students got quiet in anticipation, waiting for the first team to be announced as the flying instructor stuck her hand into the bowl.

Anne looked up towards the stands. She saw a large sea of green, unable to tell anyone apart from where she stood. But she knew that Sabrina was up there waving her flag of support. Anne was hoping Ominis was with her, but had a feeling the blind boy still had his wand up his–

"RAVENCLAW!"

Everett Clopton raised his hand as the large group of Ravenclaw students exploded into excited screams. Anne looked towards where the Ravenclaw lockers were, and she thought she could almost see Aurelia Keene's auburn hair from where she stood.

Madam Kogawa reached back into the bowl, and the entire stadium held their breath as she pulled a slip out.

"SLYTHERIN!"

The crowd of Slytherins screamed louder than the Ravenclaws. The Quidditch team also cheered along, the excitement in the room growing infectious.

Anne felt her heart beat faster. Slytherin and Ravenclaw. The first game of the season. Birds against snakes.