Chapter 18: A glass

Start from the beginning

"You have coffee?" I frowned. This guy had a few beers in the fridge, yogurt that was probably out of warranty, and some old pizza.

He turned his head to see me. "I'll buy some." It was a promise.

"Add dessert to that and I'll be interested." I laughed as I licked the spoon and Finn turned back to the dishes.

"Deal."

"Deal." I smiled even though he couldn't see it.

"Turn around Lexi before it's too late." Said the voice in my head. "It's going to hurt."

"Lexi?" I heard his voice muffled, lost in my head. "Lexi." He repeated, his voice a little louder.

"Huh?" I looked at him.

"The bowl?"

"Oh, of course." I jumped off the counter and walked over to him.

I wanted to put the bowl in the sink, but in the process I bumped into one of the glasses, which I hadn't noticed, on the edge of the sink.

Before I realized what had happened, the loud sound of breaking glass echoed through the apartment.

The glass flew past our feet and the water at the bottom of the glass spilled out.

Out of reflex, I jumped slightly and my hands flew to my mouth. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry." I started apologizing to him excessively and dropped to my knees. I started picking up the pieces of glass in my hands as I continued to apologize.

"Lexi, whoa." Finn leaned towards me. "Stop it, you're going to cut yourself."

"I didn't want to. I didn't notice it on the edge and..."

"Lexi." He gripped my wrists tightly. "Let it go."

I looked up at him and found his dark eyes, buried in mine.

I slowly dropped the glass back to the ground.

"It's okay. It's just a glass." He said in a gentle tone, his hands still on mine. "Nothing happened."

"I'm sorry." I said again, feeling the guilt in my chest.

"You apologize to me again and we're going to have a problem." He said seriously. "Careful now." He stood up, pulling me with him. "Careful." His hands dropped from my hands and landed on my waist. He lifted me up without any problem as if I weighed nothing and put me back on the counter. "Don't move." He pointed a finger at me before carefully walking out of the kitchen and returning with a small broom.

"Finn, I'm..." I started to speak as he bent back down to the floor and started cleaning up the mess I had made.

"I swear if you say you're sorry..." He looked up at me and shook his head. I immediately closed my mouth. "The world won't come crashing down because of one glass." He mumbled under his breath. "The main thing is that you didn't hurt yourself."

I looked down at my hands and the small wound that was oozing blood. "Mhm." I nodded and wiped the blood on my pants. "Um, can I use your bathroom?"

"Sure, just be careful. Here, I'll help you." He put the broom on the ground and grabbed my hand. He pulled me closer to him, away from the broken glass. "On the left." He pointed behind me and I nodded with a narrow smile.

I slammed the bathroom door behind me and leaned my back against the door. I ran my hand over my face to my hair and took a deep breath.

"Come on Lexi," I said to myself. "Wake up." I shook my head. "It was only a glass." I whispered and slowly walked over to the sink.