Chapter 17: Gifts

Start from the beginning

Finn quickly walked over to the passenger door and opened it. I just stood there for a while. Wow.

Get over it, Lexi. Finn is not some character from your books.

"Oh, you wanted to drive?" He held up the key.

"No. No. I just..." I shook my head. "It doesn't matter."

"I'm serious, if you want to drive, help yourself." He pointed to the car. "I won't mind."

I'm sure he would mind if I totally wrecked his car.

"No, it's fine." I almost jumped into the car just to avoid his persuasion.

I didn't tell him the reason why I refused his offer. But it's really simple.

I don't have a driver's license.

Not because I didn't want to, but because I never had the time or money for it.

When I was younger, I preferred to leave the money from temporary jobs to my parents. I think they needed it more.

And over time, I didn't even want it anymore. I don't think it would be that easy to buy a car and keep it in good condition with all the expenses I already have.

I'm not ashamed that I don't have a driver's license, but I don't shout it out to the world either.

I navigated Finn to the center, to the shops where I could buy some kind of gift for Jeremy. I already have something figured out, but the plans can change if I find something that catches my eye.

"Here." I smiled and walked over to the menswear section in one of the shops visited some time back. I immediately went to the jackets.

"Any idea what to buy him?"

"What?" I stood on the other side of the hangers, Finn opposite me. "You don't have to buy him anything. Just coming there will do."

"Come on." He tilted his head to the side. "Give me some advice. I've always been the worst at this." He reached for something from the hanger and picked it up. It was an orange jacket with black details.

"Obviously." I smiled.

Finn gave me a hard look before he too smiled. Oooh my god those dimples.

"Are you enjoying my suffering?" He said with a smile.

"Me?" I clutched my chest. "Never."

"Mhm." He shook his head with a laugh.

"Maybe a T-shirt." I shrugged before running down the leather fabric of the jacket. I found Jeremy's size and picked it out of the others.

I've known for a while that Jeremy needed a new leather jacket. As someone who spends most of his time on a motorcycle, it's obvious that it gets destroyed easily.

I grabbed the white piece of paper on the edge so I could see the price.

I don't know what I expected. It was obvious that it would not be cheap. Nothing is cheap these days.

Come on Lexi, Jeremy would do it for you.

I breathed a heavy sigh and decided to buy it. He deserves it.

"How about a watch?" I was startled by Finn's voice.

"Sounds good." I nodded. "I think there's one shop on the third floor. We can go there. I'll just pay for this." I lifted the jacket.

"Sure." He nodded and followed me to the cash register.

"Good day." The saleswoman smiled at me and took the jacket off the counter before scanning it and telling me the price.