Ch53: Yotsume

(Inuko POV - Not that far from Kaede's village - An hour later)

"Come we are almost there." I said, bounding through the trees as I followed the scents with Shippō clinging to my back.

Kaede riding on the horse as she chased after me.

"What's going on?" The kit asked as I jumped through the treetops. 

"Dropping off Kaede." I said we were getting closer.

"Aren't we still a bit far from the village?" Shippō asked before he began to smell the air as well. "Wait, isn't that..."

"Figured that you would get it." I said with a smirk.

It was just awhile ago when I caught up to a few familiar scents further from the village than I expected. Still at the very least I know Kaede will be able to make it to the village from here safely.

Finally I came to a stop at a treetop when I saw who I was tracking.

A surprised looking Rikichi and Nazuna, treating a villager who was covered in bandages that I could barely make out his face and his bow scratched up.

"Lady Kaede, are you alright?" Rikichi asked as she got her horse to a stop.

Jumping down from the tree and assisted her down as she clutched her hand.

"A little sore but fine." Kaede said as she got off the horse and walked over to inspect  the bandit villager. "What happened here?"

"Lady Kaede I was assisting Nazuna with gathering herbs when we found him covered in gashes and scratches, he was hunting with a few others earlier. Saying he got separated from the group and was attacked by the something he was hunting." Rikichi said as Kaede got a closer look at him with her eye narrowed.

"You were trying to hunt a pheasant again, didn't you?" Kaede said, getting Shippō to giggle while I smirked.

Judging by him looking away and her wording, she had guessed correctly.

Still a pheasant of all things, a yokai one I could understand. A regular one outside of nesting season, not so much.

Kaede looked over her some more and inspected the bandages.

"Nazuna did you have these on hand, and the salve?" She asked, getting the girl to nod.

"I used some of the herbs we gathered to help with the wounds, it should have prevented the risk of infection until we got back to the village...I had the bandages incase you all got back." Nazuna said, looking at me as I jumped back into the tree tops.

That was definitely a good call on her part.

"Well you certainly did well enough with what you had on hand and prepared. It should be enough til we can fully treat him." Kaede said, getting Nazuna to nod.

"And Lady Kikyō's remains? Lady Kaede did you recover them?" Rikichi said as Kaede sighed.

"Where is everyone else too?" Nazuna asked, getting me to shake my head.

I figured that they would have asked that.

"They're out to get another shard, we're about to head back Nazuna." Shippō said before I could speak.

"What the kit said, honestly we should be back in a few days. If we leave now we should be there by nightfall." I said with a shrug.

Honestly going at full speed I could probably get there by then.

"As for my sister's remains...that accursed onibaba's soul is in Yomi now. But we were not able to secure them...I'll explain everything to everyone. It is better to explain everything at once." Kaede said, getting Rikichi to nod grimly before she turned to the bandaged villager. "Can you walk?"