Ch52: The Midori Pearl

(Inuko POV - Mikage Creek Bank - 5 minutes later)

Kaede finally decided to take a break around a creek bank that she recognized, supposedly it runs alongside the village eventually. I was glad that she did admit her hand was bothering her, she had been going nonstop.

Looks like she was just trying to get back home as soon as possible.

Although shortly after we stopped I jumped away from here when I picked up the scent of a yokai nearby.

This was a new one for me, it smelled like some kind of snake mixed with freshly forged steel. Took a minute before I found some tracks that lead into the creek, quite a large sized one too.

However the trail ended there, probably at most a day old.

Whatever it was probably moved somewhere further down stream to hunt. Still better tell Kaede about it.

None of my concern yet such a yokai could pray on any humans among the creek.

"So there is nothing here?" Shippō asked while I shook my head.

"Not anymore there is, just moved somewhere else along the creek. Got its smell, so I should know if it comes back." I said as I jumped into the treeline, heading back to Kaede.

"So you were only smelling at shadows like dad was." Shippō said as I came to a stop. "He did the same when mom died, smelling shadows and carrying me around."

He looked a little sad at that and his ears drooped a bit as I sighed.

I think I know what he was getting at.

"Just was checking for something that I wasn't sure about for Kaede. If it was anything familiar she can handle it with us." I sighed out while shaking my head. "As soon as Kaede is back to her village."

"You worried she would end up like Kikyō?" Shippō said while shaking his head. "Well she won't, Kaede will be alright."

Hate to say it, but he partly got me there.

"That I can believe with how stubborn she is. Got that from both me and Kikyō when she was around your age, compared to human years anyway. Plus I have been looking forward to cutting something open." I said, getting him to nod.

"I think I can see it." He said with a grin before I flicked his ear. "Ow."

"Don't get cheeky with me kit." I said as he rubbed his ear. Before smirking. "Still thanks for the effort Shippō."

He just nodded with a huff as a laughed before I started to resume jumping from treetop to treetop. With him looking a little concerned.

"But are Y/N and Kagome going to be okay?" Shippō said, getting me to smile.

"They're with the hairy bitch, of course they will... for this era anyway. Besides we'll see them soon enough." I said, getting him to nod as we continued back to Kaede.

Silently hopping that they would be alright, of course if it was just the omukade they should be alright.

But if what Myōga said was correct I do hope they will be okay...

(Kagome POV - Middle of the Forrest - An hour later)

It had been a while since our first fight with Mittsume Jōrō, but no signs of her at least near us. Of course there was a few screams rung out around us, but it has been awhile since the last one...

Myōga had reassured us that we were not that far from the waterfall he mentioned, the area was starting to get kind of rocky too.

Still there was no sigh of any other bandits or the kid they had taken hostage...I really hope that they are alright...