Ch40: A Killing Frost

(Kagome POV)

The Ne no Kubi roared out as it's extensions created a mass of roots to impale us. But it seemed like it never learned as we dodged the roots with Yura and Inuko cutting them down and Y/N frosting then over.

It lasted a few moments before one of the extensions burrowed underground.

And I trained my arrow to where it would emerge. It emerged near Inuko to attack her and let it lose before a root forced me back.

The arrow only clipped the Ne no Kubi, but it did destroy a good chunk of it in a burst of reiryoku. It roared out in pain as it tried to attack me.

Only to be sliced in half by Inuko, who cut into it one more time to make sure the extension stayed dead.

"Damn you!" The Ne no Kubi roared out from it's main body as it raised a  massive root  from the ground to crush me and Shippō.

I barely had anytime to  move out of the way and notch an arrow at it before it began to cover itself in wooden spikes. But instead of launching them, the Ne no Kubi tried to smash me with the spiked root. Inuko cut it down and I launched an arrow at the main body.

However it blocked by another massive root that was reduced to ashes in a burst of reiryoku.

"Seems like that overgrown weed is finally learning from it's mistakes. Better save your reiryoku girl." She stated, getting me to nod before I notched another arrow and trained it on the last extension.

Only to see Yura crushing it's head with it's own spiked root. A sadistic grin on her face and Y/N frosting over it's roots.

"She is really enjoying herself." I stated as I moved my aim to the Ne no Kubi's main body. Honestly I was not surprised that she was doing so.

"She is kind of scary." Shippō said with a shudder as the last extension of the Ne no Kubi's head was crushed by the root and the bottom root shattered into frozen shards.

"Don't worry about it Shippō, she can't do anything to you while we're around." I said to reassure him.

"Your right, she doesn't stand a chance against any of  you!" Shippō exclaimed, getting me to smile a bit.

Honestly I'm pretty sure that is not true for myself given I am still working on my reiryoku. Or  I am  sure she could easily kill us in our sleep if she wasn't loyal to Y/N or the threat of breaking her comb. But it was nice to know that he has that much faith in us.

He lit up the fire cracker as I launched the arrow into the Ne no Kubi.

It landed in one of it's eyes and detonated, but it did little more than annoy it.

"Will all of you just die already!" The Ne no Kubi bellowed out as three massive spiked roots erupted from the ground and pulled themselves back.

Before I could do anything, me and Shippō quickly found ourselves pulled back by Yura's hairs towards her and Y/N as he raised a barrier of ice.

"A little warning next time." I said to Yura as the Ne no Kubi let lose it's attack while Inuko joined us behind the barrier.

"Perhaps." She said, although her grin was pretty unconvincing.

We stayed there for a few moments, but from the looks at it Y/N constantly had to replenish his barrier as it  looked like it was on the verge of constantly shattering. And the mist around us grew thinner and he looked more and more exhausted with each passing moment.

The barrage stopped and Y/N finally let the ice barrier shatter.

While the attack might have ended, I could sense six Hitōkon approaching us. They could be a nuisance to deal with while Y/N is currently catching his breath, but it will be enough time for the Ne no Kubi to attack.