Chapter THIRTEEN

She checked the towels like there might be slugs in them. Mel was watching in fascination while Emma explored the motel room more thoroughly. She kept leaning very far forward but keeping her lower body away from the things she was touching as though they might come alive and go for her.

"This is... charming."

"I don't mind it, personally, but I can see its not up to your standard, Princess. Unfortunately this area doesn't have 5 star hotels. Our other option looked like it was mostly an extended stay option and I doubt you would have mixed well with those people."

"Don't call me Princess." Emma frowned and then to Mel's surprise flopped backwards onto the bed and spread her arms out. "I'm exhausted."

"I would be too. You did a great job. Scoot over." Emma complied and Mel flopped down next to her to gaze up at the popcorn ceiling. "So what's the plan? If the fight is this weekend we have a couple days still. Should we go back to Seattle?"

"No way. What if they are here? M left us a clue specifically about the bar. I feel like we need to investigate it by itself." Emma sat up to look down at Mel and pushed her shiny dark hair out of her face. Mel realized she understood exactly what this Buzz guy must have been up against when she asked him the questions. She probably would answer anything Emma asked her right now. She quickly sat up too.

"Ok, fair enough. It's not open tomorrow until later, what do we do in the meantime?"

"I saw a flyer for a shooting range. We might want to get you more practice. Or at least make it look like you know what you are doing when you hold it."

"Ouch."

"You know what I mean. I can teach you."

"You're one tough professor. What else?"

"The shops." Emma squinted. "Maybe I'll buy a license plate with my name on it."

Mel snorted. "Should be easy enough."

"I have yet to find Fatima, actually."

Mel cocked her head, thinking back to her correcting her to Emma when they first met. She got it but this was the first time she got the impression that she didn't actually prefer that name. "That's too bad. Fatima is a pretty name."

"I don't think I've seen Melody very often either."

"Hey quick question, teach" She put her hand up.

Emma giggled. "Yes, the girl on left side of the bed. What would you like to ask?"

She lowered her voice slightly. "Do you think it's ok to call you Fatima in private? I mean, we are a team now. It would be nice to be able to use your name. You know, solidarity and whatever."

The other girl pursed her lips at first but then her face relaxed. "I guess that would be ok."

Mel held up her hand for a high five. "Awesome. I appreciate it, Fatima. I feel like I trust you more now."

Fatima's eyebrows raised slightly and her high five was more like sliding her hand down Mel's. She felt herself swallow. "Go team."

Mel cleared her throat. "Ok. To bed. We can only be at our best with a good night's rest."

"I'm taking a shower first." Fatima shivered. "I can still feel that moist beer air on my skin. Its in my hair."

"Ew. Maybe I'll take one too." Just from her description she could feel the inside of the bar again. Fatima wasn't wrong. The locals seemed to have a problem with not spilling all over the floor. She'd taken her shoes off as soon as she'd entered the motel room. Plus the place still smelled of stale cigarettes like they'd never quite cleaned it all the way.