𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

1:56 pm

Mayor's office

   Mia, once again, barged into Charles' office unannounced, but this time the secretary didn't bother her. When she walked in, he was standing there as if he was expecting her.

"You said three days," Mia reminded him.

"I did," he responded.

"Where are they?" Mia questioned.

"Who?" Charles responded.

"My girlfriend and her family," Mia replied.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, Mia," Charles stated.

Mia tilted her head and asked, "You don't know where they are?"

"No," he replied. "I said three days, seventy-two hours, and it's only been twenty-four hours."

"Give me your phone," Mia demanded, her voice filled with urgency.

"Why?" Charles pondered, his curiosity evident.

"Now," she demanded, her tone becoming more forceful. Almost immediately, he handed over his phone. Mia swiftly dialed her own number, which was already saved. After the third ring, Leah's voice came through the phone.

"What now, Charles?" Leah questioned, clearly annoyed.

"You could pick up the phone for Charles, but not me, your girlfriend," Mia stated, a touch of hurt in her voice.

"Mia?"

"Where are you?" Mia questioned.

"I'm gone, and I'm not coming back," Leah responded bitterly. "Don't ever call my phone again."

"I deserve an explanation," Mia stated, her heart aching.

"Bye, Mia." she heard Leah say before the line went dead. A surge of rage overcame Mia, and she threw the compact at the wall, causing the phone to shatter.

"My phone!" Charles exclaimed, his voice filled with shock and concern.

Mia turned towards him, her eyes burning with anger. She grabbed him by his collar, forcing him to look into her eyes. "Look at me and tell me you have nothing to do with this," she demanded, her grip tightening.

"I don't." Charles replied, his voice filled with sincerity. They were face to face, and Mia could read the truth in his eyes.

"Liar." she said sternly, her voice laced with disappointment. With a harsh release of his collar, she let go and walked away, slamming the door shut behind her.

Fury evident in every step, she stormed out of the establishment, her face flushed with anger and her fists clenched tightly. The weight of betrayal weighed heavily on her as she made her way to her car, her heart pounding in her chest.

Once inside her vehicle, she took a deep breath, trying to calm her racing thoughts. With trembling hands, she reached for her phone and dialed her assistant's number.