CHAPTER 18

PETE

Pete was a stomach sleeper.

But why would that be a thing? Well, since the beginning of the week, Pete discovered that his favorite position to sleep was no longer available to him since, apparently, in the last two weeks, his abdomen was no longer that still flat but slightly bloated thing, instead, he really popped out recently. This whole sudden change made his favorite position feel awkward to him, like he was pressing a balloon on his diaphragm while sleeping, which was not pleasant at all. That was an amazing explanation of why he felt so damn tired that morning and why his humor was all over the place, with even the shampoo bottle that slipped from his hands being enough to make him annoyed.

That week, he entered officially into the eighteenth week of his pregnancy and that couldn’t be showing more to him. Yes, the fatigue disappeared and he was no longer sleeping everywhere and all the time he could, but in exchange, Pete felt like he was hungry all the time, he would get dizzy at random – and inappropriate - times and there was this annoying pain on the very bottom of his abdomen. The last one made Vegas call the doctor, completely freaking out, in the middle of the night, just to be told that cramping was beyond normal, especially when your abdomen’s muscles are stretching every single day. He was left with an annoyed expression on his face and Pete felt quite satisfied to have won the argument that the pain wasn’t that bad and it didn’t mean anything out of the ordinary.

Vegas being all over the place was also something new that this week brought to Pete. He didn’t know if it was because the pregnancy was showing more than earlier, but Vegas was a complete freak towards Pete lately; the other day he made a whole scene in the middle of breakfast when Pete tried to grab the juice jug with his still not amazingly healed arm (clearly forgetting that it was still healing) and failed, hissing and almost dropping the damn thing. He scolded Pete to wanting make things on his own when he clearly couldn’t and said that he should always ask for help, even if that help meant to grab a freaking jug. Pete was speechless and everyone on the table did their best to hide their smiles from them. So, yeah, rough week.  

Another remarkable thing, clothes not fitting him like they did before. He was in the middle of trying to button a pair of light green shorts around his hips when Vegas entered the room while talking on the phone. Usually, Vegas wasn’t the type of person who stresses out with things like planning trips or anything, but since they talked to the doctor to get a clear up that Pete was more than able to travel inside a car for six hours, Vegas had become a nerve wreck (more than he already was); that because the doctor was slightly against it, but since there wasn’t any complications with Pete’s health so far, he didn’t see why not. But that little tiny phrase was more than enough to put Vegas on edge, wondering if they really should do this by car. Pete, otherwise, didn’t had the energy to argument with his fiancée anymore, especially after a terrible night of sleep. If he was being honest, he couldn’t blame the sleeping position entirely; after all, Pete admitted that seeing his grandparents after almost a year was quite something to be a little anxious too and the fact that he would not only meet them after so long, but also introduce a fiancée and a baby on the way was... stressful, to say at least.

“Please tell me you’re not calling doctor Taya for the fifth time today to ask the same thing, even though you already know what his answer is going to be.” Pete said, still very focused on the short’s button.

“Remind me again why we’re not inside of a plane right now...” Vegas said, his tone slightly annoyed. “I don’t know... What if something happens? What if all the sitting for too long triggers something? What if your cramps get worse? Because we will be in the middle of the road, with nothing to help us out and...”

Pete closed his eyes and took a deep breath while Vegas babbled about all the “what if’s” that were troubling his mind so much. Even if he didn’t sleep well and even if he was beyond nervous to basically introduce his new life to his grandparents, he couldn’t even imagine how Vegas must be too. Pete recognized that he wasn’t just worried about the whole trip, but also about how his encounter with Pete’s family would be. Even if it was a little annoying, Pete had to admit that, just like him, Vegas was trying his best to be what he thought a good father was and that was something that Pete was very grateful too. Vegas never experienced that before, so everything was still new to him (just like it was to Pete), but the difference between their two, was that Pete was much calmer and more rational about every single change in waters during this time. Both of them were freaking out a little bit in their own way and being pissed with a button or with his very much worried fiancée wouldn’t help things out.