CHAPTER 07

PETE

“So, what you gonna do about it?” Kinn asked while sipping his steaming cup of coffee.

After what happened in Ekamai, Vegas agreed with Pete’s suggestion to communicate the incident to Kinn, so they did that first thing in the morning, right after leaving Ekamai. When they arrived at the Main Family Manor, Kinn had just woke up and was sat by the garden having breakfast with Porsche by his side. Kinn chocked on his coffee when he saw that Vegas was partially covered in blood. His clothes were almost immaculate, but the blood stains on his face were still there.

The previous night’s interrogatory lasted almost two hours more before the last guy decided to open his mouth, despite Pete’s or Vegas’s words. After hours of torture and a considerable amount of blood, he said his name, almost like a plea, like he finally became aware that the only option for him was truly open his mouth. His name was Dong Ha Joon and he spent the last 9 years working for the Huàng Family.

Dong Ha Joon was born in North Korea and when he was 23 years old, he scape with his mother with the help of a Chinese Crosser, as they were known back in the day. His mother died in the process and he got stuck in China after the man who helped them had taken every bit of money that Ha Joon had after the crossing. There, he got married and found a job at the rural area; that’s when he met Yìchen. His first contact with the Huàng Family happened when his daughter got sick and later, he and his wife found out that she had lung cancer. He needed money for the surgery, sure, but he also needed a transplant for her. That was when he was introduced to a very wealthy man known in his village as “The golden Lizard”, who he borrowed money from without even thinking twice. Little did he know that the man was just one of Yìchen’s employees and was also known for his scams involving poor people that took money from him. He would force them to sign a contract and use this against them with hidden clauses and such. Pete already heard about his work once, when a young Chinese man came to work for Kinn and told them how Khun Korn helped his family get away from a forced labor camp there, after being scammed by “The Golden Lizard”.  

Ha Joon not only took money from him, but also his “good deeds”. On the contract it was said that he had to work for the man to pay his debt and he accepted. Right after his daughter’s surgery, Ha Joon received the task to kill an entire refugee family that owed money to the Lizard. Being one of them himself and a good man, Ha Joon helped them scape and told a lie to the lizard instead. That task was a test for him and since he didn’t pass, Ha Joon’s daughter was killed and he was forced to continue working for him in turn to the Lizard not kill his wife, who was pregnant at the time.

He never saw her or his newborn baby again.

Vegas and Pete listened carefully while the man would tell how he was blackmailed and tortured all those years until the day he was demanded to travel to Thailand with the Huàng Family and no longer after, robe the promissory notes from Vegas’s vault. That was all that he swore to know before Vegas took him into a tight hug, give him a prayer and shoot the man on the head, just like he said he would do. Ha Joon’s words only confirmed what they were suspecting, but not quite the reason behind it, despite the financial one.

And both Pete and Vegas know that there was one.

“I would like to keep the promise that I made to him.” Vegas said. “And then, I would like to send their heads to the Huàng Family. Just a thoughtful gift to show them that it’s not that easy to took something from us.”

“I agree with the first one.” Kinn started. “I can get some information with my dad, since he helped victims of them before. But the second one... let’s not do it.”

“You do realize that I didn’t came here to ask for permission, right?” Vegas gave a quick glance to Pete, who was sat right by his side on the garden’s table. “I came here to report and to warn you that they might try something with you guys too.”