𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

Colorado, Denver

October 16, 2020 – 7:13 A.M.

I put on my shoes and coat, got out of my room and as I walked to the door I saw Liam facing the oven and my mother sitting at the table. It was nice to sleep all day yesterday but the dream I had was still in my head and the fact that Liam ignored my question about the red moon made me more suspicious that this dream was actually a memory.

The mysterious figure I saw through the window was perhaps an illusion, and I was trying to believe that it wasn't real, because besides having nightmares I didn't need to have someone or something chasing me.

- Good morning – I said and they both looked at me, it was rare for me to talk to them, especially in the morning but unlike other days, today I felt fine – So...

- Yes?

- You were drunk last night.

- I wasn't – my mom said and I heard Liam laugh.

- Yes, you were, Liam had to go open the door for you

- Because I rang the doorbell.

- You rang the doorbell because you couldn't put the key in the lock.

- I had fun with my friends, blame me for that.

- It's okay mom, I'm not angry, I just thought it was funny – I smiled and looked at Liam – And I have to go, I don't want to be late.

- Won't you eat first?

- I don't have time Liam, but I can take them to eat later – I grabbed some cookies that were still warm and put them in a small bag – Thank you Liam.

Something was different? Yes, but this was exactly the way it was supposed to be. It was probably the first conversation in months that the three of us had, and although it wasn't a conversation about the problems we were having, at least we were able to talk to each other without yelling or turning our backs.

I wanted to ask my mom about the dream that I was starting to think was a memory only she never liked to talk about my nightmares. And if this dream was actually a memory, then I would need more than a few suspicions to be able to talk to her.

***

7:37 A.M.

I sat in the chair and put my backpack on the table, Gabe walked past me and sat in his seat that was behind mine, I turned around watching him.

- What is it Jade? – he muttered, Gabe was a shy boy and it was funny to know that he had a crush on Mary – If you're going to tell me to confess my feelings to Mary, again, then forget it.

I wasn't the best cupid in school, but I tried my best to help Gabe, especially after Kathy's attempt. She literally forced Gabe to ask Mary out on a date, she has a tendency to be aggressive but he was scared of her and has since tried to avoid her as much as possible. I wanted to help him, especially after knowing that his feelings were mutual, even though he didn't realize it, but today I wasn't there for him.

Gabe is very smart, maybe the smartest in the class and he was totally obsessed with legends and old books. Maybe his obsession would help me find out more about the red moon, I know it's a rare phenomenon but it's nothing special from a scientific point of view, but what about from a more mystical point of view? Maybe there's some legend about it and I needed Gabe's help.

- I brought cookies, chocolate chip cookies – I whispered and he looked at me right away.

Of course I was going to try to eat, but if there was one thing Gabe liked more than old books and legends, it was the cookies Liam made almost every morning. Having Liam at home was a real miracle, he worked as a chef in the kitchen of the best restaurant in town and he helped my mother prepare cakes and other sweets for her pastry shop.

- I'm all ears, Miss Graham.

- Well, I need legends about red moons – he leaned back in surprise – All the legends you find, I need them.

- Why do you want that?

- I'm just curious.

- About red moons? – he asked, it was strange that he was behaving like that, normally I ask something and he just answers me but this subject seems to have made him uneasy – Why are you so interested in these things?

- Why are you so curious?

- Nothing, I just...– he fell silent and looked static.

- Gabe, are you okay?

- What are you two talking about? – I heard Dylan's voice in my ear and felt his warm breath against my skin – And why are you whispering?

- You have nothing to do with it.

- How rude, Jade – he laughed and leaned forward closer to me – Gabe? – he looked out of the corner of his eye at Gabe who shuddered with fear – What were you talking about?

- You're scaring him.

- Then answer my question, Jade.

- We were talking about legends – he looked back at me.

- What kind of legends?

- I-It wasn't a-anything.

Gabe stuttered and we both looked at him, there was no doubt that Dylan and Kathy scared Gabe, but Gabe was also a very scared person. Dylan's smile widened as if he knew Gabe had lied and the poor guy looked down as if he knew Dylan knew he lied.

The intimidating aura that surrounded us quickly startled the other students who looked at us waiting for Dylan to start a fight, because that's what happened whenever Dylan had that look and that smile on his lips.

- Can you stop that? You're scaring everyone.

- You too? – I didn't answer and he looked at me again, this time bringing his face even closer to mine – Jade, am I scaring you too?

- Perhaps.

- Is something going on?

I turned my face to the door where the teacher was looking at us with arms crossed, I shook my head and put my hands on Dylan's chest, pushed him back slightly away from me.

- Sit in your seats – he said as he walked to his desk, put a briefcase on the table and tied his long hair – All of you.

He looked at Dylan who hadn't moved yet, he looked at me as if still waiting for an answer, I alternated glances between him and the teacher.

- Dylan.

- Yes, teach?

- Sit down – Dylan didn't answer and I think that the teacher didn't like that – Jade.

- Y-Yes?

- Get up – I did as he said – You and Dylan are grounded, you will stay here till lunch.

- What?

- Wait, you can't punish her, she didn't do anything – Dylan looked at him.

- I can but I can also get you out of punishment, that is, if you obey what I say – I rolled my eyes and looked at Dylan – Sit down in your seat.

- Yes, sir.