𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐨

Colorado, Denver

October 14, 2020 - 8:10 A.M.

The bell had gone off ten minutes ago, but the new teacher wasn't here yet, and as expected, everyone was ready to leave the room and enjoy their free time. Unfortunately for all those who were eager to leave, a tall man entered the room and apologized for being late.

I heard disappointing gasps everywhere and glanced at Dylan's empty chair, but my attention returned to the new teacher as he began to write his name on the board, Anthony Benson. Without a doubt this was the youngest teacher in the school, his fair skin seemed to be so soft and his long blond hair reminded me of Legolas, the elf from the movie The Lord of the Rings.

He turned and introduced himself in such a formal way that it didn't even look like we were in the twenty-first century, our gazes met for a few seconds and that made me feel uneasy. He sat down on top of his desk and tied his hair with a white elastic band that he pulled from his wrist.

- I'm sorry for what happened to your previous teacher, miss...– he paused, he doesn't even know her name.

He looked at us waiting for someone to tell him the name of the previous teacher, who is home because she fell down the stairs of the building where she lives, which was strange since she went up and down those stairs every day for more than twenty years. And when one of the students was about to answer, the door opened, revealing Dylan.

- Sorry, I'm late.

- I was ten minutes late but you were still more late than me? – the teacher asked sarcastically which made a small smile form on Dylan's face.

He looked at me and I shook my head, I knew he would respond even worse but he needed to pass this class and his behavior wasn't going to help him. Dylan sighed and nodded politely and quietly, the teacher allowed him to enter the class and sit in his seat.

- Where were we? Ah, yes, your teacher...

- Miss Winston – one of the students said.

- Right, Miss Winston – our gazes met and I could see a small smile on the corner of her mouth – I'll be light on you because it's our first day together.

- Thank you.

I shifted my gaze to Dylan when I heard him whisper and as he leaned his body towards me and even though our tables were a good distance apart, I felt my cheeks burn. I just nodded, but quickly looked straight ahead, trying to concentrate on the teacher's words.

My concentration didn't last long as I started to feel my body temperature start to rise and that made me want to close my eyes and rest my head, but I couldn't do that. I took off my jacket trying to lessen the heat I was feeling, my stomach churned and my vision began to blur. Then I heard Dylan get my attention.

- Jade – he whispered – Are you okay?

- Yes.

- You look like you want to throw up – Dylan laughed, teasing me.

- I'm not feeling very good.

- Should I take you out of the classroom?

- What? No.

- But if you don't feel well, you should...

- It'll stop.

- Jade – his voice worsened, I looked into his eyes and the thousand butterflies that were inside me exploded with the intensity of his gaze – Did you sleep well, Jade? -– he asked as if he already knew the answer and even though I wanted to lie, I wouldn't be able to do it and he knew it.